I just switched my one year old to whole milk, but now she's having trouble using the bathroom?? What can I do to help her? I heard caro syrup lite??? Any suggestions?

CarsonsMom_913

Asked by CarsonsMom_913 at 8:45 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• DD went to 2% for just this reason. Whole milk was too "whole" and plugged her up.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:46 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• talk to her pedi about giving her apple juice in diluted form. Diluted apple juice will help loosen her stool. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 8:48 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I used 2% and still had the problem with my son. I used the Karo syrup.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:48 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• She might be lactose intolerant. Might want to try a lactose free milk. I have heard that apple juice should work, or even diluted prune juice. It worked for my daughter.
    69humblepie

Answer by 69humblepie at 8:57 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Keep the same milk, and try some yogurt. Along with the milk, or in the bottle, which ever is more desirable to your little one. Put a juice along with the milk, this acts as a culture starter, to break down the lactose. Apple juice will break down lactose. ( And their is LACTAID. but this is expensive. here.)
    SO
    yogurt, apple juice, and karo light won't hurt, try all of these. Vanilla yogurt by Dannon is great.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Ask your Ped about Miralax. Both my sons had to use it almost daily, my youngest still does, though he's 4. My ped says its safe and non habit forming. It's just a gentle stool softener. But they didn't start until around potty training age so ask your dr. or pharmacist. The pharmacist can tell you the adjusted dosing amount for their body weight also.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 9:11 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• For the first two weeks my daughter had that problem but once her body got used to the milk she was fine... How long has she been drinking the whole milk?
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 9:48 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• A change in diet can equal a change in stool. What is the stool like? If it's not hard and pellet like, I would give it a few days before changing anything. Let her tummy get used to the milk. You might want to add probiotics, that can help. If it persists, consider dropping the cow's milk. Or speak to the doctor about adding fiber rich foods, or a fiber supplement.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:10 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Did you gradually wean her from breast milk or formula or did you just go straight to the cow's milk? If the change wasn't gradual enough, that might cause problems. My daughter is on soy milk because cow's milk gave her tummy cramps, gas pains, etc. She was on soy formula & we tried weaning her by giving her the formula w/small amounts of cows milk & gradually increased it, but she wasn't able to process it. We put her on soy milk & she's had no problems. We like it better because it has less sugar & no steroids like you might get with cows milk.
    Lo_and_Behold

Answer by Lo_and_Behold at 11:04 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• my babies did that on formula to we put a tiny bit of light karo syrup in and it helped.
    sherryb1273

Answer by sherryb1273 at 11:05 AM on Sep. 14, 2010