Anyone Have an EASY Labor & Delivery With First Child?

As I get closer to my due date, it seems I hear more and more horrific stories of childbirth. Did anyone have a relatively easy labor and delivery with their first child? Is there anything you suggest doing? Did having a positive attitude help? I'm very much a planner, and I like to be in control. I think if I can convince myself to relax as much as possible and focus it'll be easier. Kind of a mind over matter thing. Any advice!?!

SMH2010

Asked by SMH2010 at 8:45 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• dont think so
    kandie01

Answer by kandie01 at 8:47 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• get a doula
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 8:52 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Not sure about "easy" but you can make it "easier" by educating yourself on breathing techniques like Lamaze. I didn't take lessons but read the book and the best thing I taught myself from that reading was to stay in control with the breathing especially by lifting the diaphragm up off of the uterus during a contraction.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:53 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Mine was really long but I dont think it was that bad :)
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 8:53 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I didn't my second was easy though. My first they gave me an epidural after my water broke. My water broke at 1:30am got the epidural by 2am started pushing at 2:30am I wasn't pushing hard enough so they lowered my epidural so that I could feel to push and I felt verything after that. My blood pressure was going up, my temp got up to 104 the babys heart rate was dropping. I tore had to get stitches. I got hymroids didn't have before then. They ended up doing a forcep delivery because the babys head was stuck in the birth canal. I found out later that I had problems because the baby was to big (8.1) and my hips were to small. I pushed for 5 hours. All I say is do what they tell you to do. I think if you have a good enough doctor you should be fine. This doctor I don't think new what he was doing. I got a new doctor for baby #2 and everything was a lot easier. CONT....
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:53 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My husband is the most supportive person I know. I really don't value doulas. Just a preference thing, no disrespect. :) I am planning on a waterbirth at a midwifery center by the way. I just want to hear about those women who were in labor for six hours and didn't tear. I LOVE those stories!
    SMH2010

Comment by SMH2010 (original poster) at 8:54 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• with my second baby it was alot easier my water broke at 10am I got the epidural right after I didn't feel anything what so ever with her. No stitches or tares no hymroids lol. Nothing. She was 8.7. I started pushing at 2:30pm and had her at 3:38pm. Didn't even have no forceps.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:57 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I did!! Water broke at 5:30, I delivered him at 11:30. No drugs, no problems. My second delivery was equally as easy. I didn't do Lamaze, I took a one day class on what to expect. The nurses and my doctor helped me through everything.

Don't worry, a lot of women have really easy births - but the horror stories make more interesting reading I think.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:58 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My first delivery was not bad at all. I was in labor for a little more than 6 hours, pushed for 45 minutes, no drugs. I was 19 and everyone told me I would not be able to do it without an an epidural. So, I didn't get one to prove them wrong! :) I did tear really bad, but I guess I can't win them all.

Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 9:00 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Mine went pretty smooth, I did have to be induced but everything went well and pretty fast, 4 hours total. I had a 9 pound baby, no problems. Good luck!
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 9:02 AM on Sep. 14, 2010