2 and a half year old boy will only use the potty when he is naked, how do I get him to potty in the potty while wearing underwear?

Question says it all, he loves and I mean loves to be naked, he uses the potty very well while he is naked but the second you put underwear on him he either takes them off or pees in them and then takes them off.

franklynnsmom

Asked by franklynnsmom at 8:46 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Our son loves being naked too. He is 3.5 and until just recently would take off all his clothes to go to the bathroom. Now he will leave his undies on most of the time but the shorts and shirt come off. I was super worried about it when he started preschool, but he won't poop anywhere but home and he mostly stands to pee so the shorts stay on.
    miraclebabymine

Answer by miraclebabymine at 8:50 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• my grandson did the same, and once in a restaurant he crawled naked under the stall to the next stall then came out with nothing on. His clothes, including shoes were all locked in the first stall. People thought it was hilarious, but I thought gross, washed him up as best we could then gave him a bath when home. In answer to your question though, time. Not much help maybe, but nothing in particular seemed to help. His dad would be so upset if his clothes were soiled, so I think he took them off to avoid getting anything on them and avoid his fathers wrath. (My dd's ex)
    cmlkb

Answer by cmlkb at 8:51 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• It doesn't seem like a problem to me. He will grow out of it eventually. If you make a big deal about it, he will make a big deal about it.
    Gabriela108

Answer by Gabriela108 at 9:10 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I know boys will be boys, I try hard no to get on to him when he is running around naked, He started potty training all on his own, he is very independant and doesnt like for you to help very much. Im trying not to push, but rather follow his lead.
    franklynnsmom

Comment by franklynnsmom (original poster) at 9:19 AM on Sep. 14, 2010