Those of you who have taken progesterone (micronized)- did you take it orally or?

I am taking 200 mg of progesterone (micronized) to sustain a pregnancy. About an hour after I take it, I'm literally sedated. So my OB said that I can take it vaginally with less of the sedation effects. She said she never prescribes the vaginal suppositories because they run anyway but she is leaving how I take it (vaginally or orally) up to me.
I was hoping to hear from anyone who might have taken the micronized pill form of prometrium vaginally- thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:01 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I'm old fashioned. I prefer the injectable progesterone. At least I know it will be in my body. For me suppositories leaked out so I could never be sure I got the amount needed to sustain the pregnancy. I'd stick with the oral at least you can be sure enough of it is staying in your body where it belongs.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:19 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I took it from 5 weeks to 13 weeks. Not the vaginal ones but the 200mg of prometrium 3 times a day. It does make you sleepy or at least I thought that as well. It makes you constipated as well. Not to mention the crazy dizzy spells. I was unable to drive for a couple of weeks when I started taking it. A week after I was done taking it, All was well. Just hang in there, and think...at 12-13 weeks, you can stop taking it!!!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 8:22 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• With 2 pregnancies I've taken it vaginally.. It maked me a little tired but I could still function,other than that the side effects were like a "normal " pregnancy.. My drs have always perscribed it as vaginal suppositories.
    mamaof2748

Answer by mamaof2748 at 8:26 PM on Oct. 16, 2008