Is this asking a teacher for to much? Third grade...

I planned our family vacation paid for it and my husband planned his time off 5 months ago. I did not even realize the time we would be gone school would be in session. I got wrapped up in the excitement! Anyway before school was even in session we met with the teacher told her we would be gone for three weeks. She said "what do you want me to do about it" we asked if she could give us a reading list or some work sheets to keep our daughter on track, her response was, "that is to much for me to do." needless to say we leave tomorrow with nothing from the teacher so I am just guessing on what work sheets or books to get on my own. School started on the first of September and we have yet to see any kind of homework either. Is this normal for third grade?

Noosa

Asked by Noosa at 8:56 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Teacher here: I might go talk with the principal....but put yourself in the teachers shoes for a minute....3 WEEKS is a lonnnnnggg time to gather work for! And teachers sometimes pace themselves on the students progress meaning they may go slower or faster or skip something all together for some reason. Maybe go back over a skill, you can imagine.

So for her to know exactly what she will be doing in 3 weeks is a stretch. If I were the teacher I would tell you this VERY thing...and try to gather you a few materials.....and stress that their may be more on your arrival home.

For 3rd grade I might even be tempted to ask the student to do a travel paper...explaining things they learned on the trip, take pictures, give a quick informative speech when they got home.

I like to be creative.

Dont be too mad, teacher could have handled it better....but that is a long time to be gone as well. I see both sides.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:04 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Wow. 3 weeks off school? There absolutely will be consequences - and should be. She'll be missing 3 weeks of instruction. That's unreasonable. And a really lousy thing to do to a kid.
    If the teacher is willing to provide a few items to attempt to keep the child on track, that's nice. But this IS asking too much - of both the teacher and your own child. A 3 week absence? Here, if a child misses more than 18 days in a school year, they DO NOT PASS to the next grade ... so 3 weeks will be 15 of those 18 days ... hope the kid doesn't get sick.
    Take the responsibility to supplement the lessons yourself during your extended absence. Will she have a ton to do upon return? You bet. And should
    In most school districts? If a child is out due to illness for a long time? Assignments are given weekly, as each week is complete. Many school districts will even provide a tutor to help an ill child keep up during an extended absence
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 10:34 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• You're out of your skull. Most of us are friggin' glad we're NOT you, thankful beyond belief that we have more brains than THIS.

This is absurd.

The teacher is not "jealous" of your child.

Your attitude is unreal - blame the teacher for this, blame the teacher for that.

Grow up. Own it. This was your decision and it was a piss poor one. And now you think the teacher should bend over backwards to accommodate your poor planning. Get real.

What a lesson to give the kid - again. EYEROLL. just as good as yesterday's lesson.

So, what's on the agenda for tomorrow?
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 11:11 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• No, it is not wrong of the teacher to refuse. Yes, it is irresponsible on the part of the parents.

She's in 3rd grade. Regardless of the start date of school (which can easily be found out if one bothers to put in the effort to do so), parents of 3rd graders have a pretty decent idea of when school is in session and when school is not.

This is the same teacher that you complained about yesterday because the children can only go to the restroom 4 times during 7 hours. You're looking for things to bitch about, and choosing to place the blame where it does not belong.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 10:38 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• no one is jealous of you. lots of us take great vacations and have really smart children. if believing we are jealous is what it takes for you to feel better about such terrible planning then so be it. i don't believe you'll receive much support or advice with that attitude. your question was "is this asking a teacher for too much?" i think you got an answer but not the one you wanted and now you're being a snot about it.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 11:49 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Why on earth would - or should - a teacher take all of that extra time to care for YOUR child when YOU clearly didn't bother? And really? Why on earth would the teacher even imagine that you'd be responsible enough to have your child doing the schoolwork during vacation? According to you, you didn't even bother finding out when school was in session before planning your little trip. If I were the teacher, I'd have zero confidence that you'd see to it that the work was done, and even less confidence that you'd be able to adequately teach the lessons that accompany the work.

Yeah. It's asking waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much.
    jinxandjoy

Answer by jinxandjoy at 4:59 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Go in and talk with the Principal.. He shold be aware of this as well. Let him/her know what the teacher said. You gave well in advanced time for this. You should have it. Not a big deal for the teacher to get things lined up.
    Airforce3mom

Answer by Airforce3mom at 9:00 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• yeah....... i would say that's a problem for you to sort out, not the teacher. your lack of foresight shouldn't constitute an emergency on her part. good on you for trying to make it right, but yes i do believe you are asking way too much from her. as for avoiding negative consequences for them missing so much school, you would be better served talking with the principal and administrative offices directly. i don't think teachers have a lot of say over those kinds of policies.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 9:20 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Here, 15 days from school for vacation is not an excused absence and will result in a visit from a truancy officer. And, you are asking a lot of the teacher to prepare a months worth of assignments.
    dmelyoung

Answer by dmelyoung at 9:22 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Absolutely absurd. Great message to the kid about how important school is too.

You've heard it - YES, it's too much to ask. You just don't like it, so now you're whining about being "bashed". Don't ask if you don't want the answer.

The answer? No responsible parent would plan a "vacation" for 3 weeks during the school year. And to expect the teacher to make up for your lack of OH SO MUCH by working extra to attempt to prepare lessons for a child who will be missing the class instruction time? When YOU didn't bother taking doing the extra work to plan your vacation for an appropriate time? It's total BULL.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 4:38 PM on Sep. 14, 2010