Cough Medicine

Ok so my son is 16 months old and has a cough, no fever no runny nose just a cough and it seems worse when he wakes up. I was just wondering if there is any over the counter medicine I could give to him, I know most of them say if under 4 or 2 do not use but so does just about every type of medicine for infants. And I dont want to go to the doctors and pay an arm and a leg for her to tell me theres a medicine he can take.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just call the office and speak to a nurse. I know they don't usually advise you use a cough suppressant for kids that young, but they can give you some tips.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 9:22 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Call the pediatrician. Very often there is not a lot that they will suggest as far as medicines for one so young. Heck, they don't often recommend anything for my 10 & 12 yr olds. For my 5 yr old I make sure that he drinks a lot of water when he wakes up coughing.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:27 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• DON'T use the cough medicine unless a doctor advises it! In Canada you can't give it till they are 6 years old. I would get him checked by his pediatrician.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 9:30 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• When my son was 4 months old, he had Bronchitis pretty bad. The pediatrician put him on an antibiotic and we also had to give him breathing treatments. If your son isn't that bad, they might not recommend that much. Maybe try Vick's Rub and or a Vaporizer.
    carebear1214

Answer by carebear1214 at 9:53 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Is it possibly allergies? I know that my kids suffer from allergies, and get a cough at night due to the post nasal drip. Speak to the doctor, let them determine if it's illness or allergies, and go from there.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:12 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• A humidifier may help him. My ds has been waking up coughing every morning for a week and we put him humidifier in his room and that seems to be helping. We use it during nap time and at night until the cough gets better.
    mom2abby06

Answer by mom2abby06 at 10:36 AM on Sep. 14, 2010