Keep it in check

Im in school full time and have 8 kids my husand who is ill stays home with the baby (14 months) and I always feel overwhelmed any ideas to just keep it all in check???

momof869

Asked by momof869 at 9:21 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• Wow! Do you have a "family planner" (like a big calendar) that everyone can use? I worked with a woman that had 13 kids, she had everything written down, from meals to laundry. I've never seen a more organized house (she made me feel guilty because I only had 2 at the time and I was overwhelmed!).
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:48 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Well I can relate. I have five kids on a regular basis 5 mo, 2 yrs, 3 yrs, 8,8, and 9 yrs. My SD is here every other weekend and once during the week. I am in school full time online, I homeschool my 8 year old son and incorporate the younger girls, I work 24 hours on the weekend. So yeah, it can be pretty overwhelming. Basically what I have to do is tell myself to not let things overwhelm me. Like I make myself stay calm. I stay strict with myself. I get up everyday at 5:30 unless most things are done in the house. I start by doing general clean up and throw a load of laundry in. Get kids up and ready for school, feed them and baby. One kid does the dishes everyday, they just take turns. I clean the bathroom when I give my little ones a bath or my oldest daughter does it. Start dinner early so all I would have to do is heat things. I do my homework in between down times and evening. SO that sums up my days!
    Roisin07

Answer by Roisin07 at 12:21 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• It's also important to not let things get to you. If you don't do it al in one day its ok to do it tomorrow. Don't put soo much pressure on yourself to get it all done.
    Roisin07

Answer by Roisin07 at 12:22 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• With 8 kids, its normal to be overwhelmed. I know first hand because I also have a large family. But now my kids are leaving the nest and we only have three at home...give it time and everything will work out. In the meantime, take some time for yourself...you're being super mom and going to school. You need a break every now and then...good luck...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 4:48 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• thanks for the tips. My day starts at 4:45 am every mornign to take my oldest to the bus stop so he can attend school and then run back here to get a load of wash done and the dishes, and then off to school and back by 6 at night adn then do what I need to do for homework and get the kids ready for bed to do it all over again the next day. my kids ages are 17, 13, 12, 10, 9, 7, 6 and 14 months.the older one can help out and stuff so they do. Chores are done after school and homework then outside time. I just feel overwhelmed with school adn trying to keep up with what they have going on. Also with stuff aroudn the house, bills etc. Feels like too much sometimes. I appreciate the comments and ideas. Thanks
    momof869

Comment by momof869 (original poster) at 5:35 PM on Sep. 14, 2010