How do you feel about homeschooling? Are you for it, or are you against it?

shortcake120

Asked by shortcake120 at 9:22 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• I was homeschooled from 6th-12th grade. I hated it. My parents homeschooled me to provide me with "a sound Christian education." At first, I liked the idea of being homeschooled, but as the years went by I felt like I was missing so much. I wanted to be in plays and go to prom. I know my parents thought they were doing what was best for me, but I feel that my homeschooling experience left me with deep rooted anxiety and depression issues. I have chosen not to homeschool my daughter.
    fraujones

Answer by fraujones at 6:49 PM on Sep. 16, 2010

• I'm for it. One of my kids is homeschooled but the other two go to public school. I think it depends on your child's learning abilities and your dedication to helping them succeed educationally when it comes to homeschooling. My oldest loves homeschool but my other two benefit from public school due to extracurriculars they enjoy there.
    lore_tex

Answer by lore_tex at 9:26 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• If the child has creative, athletic, or any other social outlets outside of the home (with their peers) during the week then I am more for it. If the parent can provide a schedule, solid carriculum to give the child a good education then I am even more for it. I have nothing against home schooling itself, just under some circumstances it shouldn't be done. Like if the two before mentioned things aren't in place or very well in place. Kids still need to have peer interaction as much as they still need to have a good education.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:41 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I think that there are really good homeschoolers out there - qualified, dedicated, and they are doing all they can to make sure that their children are getting a great education. Unfortunately there are a lot that don't. I've known a lot of kids that were homeschooled and behind in every subject, unable to socialize, and completely unprepared for the real world when school was done. I'm not against it, but I think it needs to be monitored and regulated by all the states.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:25 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I homeschooled my 2 younger kids. My oldest went all the way through public school, middle one homeschooled for 3 years, and went back to school in middle school, youngest chose to continue homeschooling, and started college at age 15. He is now 18, and just started his 3rd year of college. Both of the younger boys are in college now.

I do think that homeschooling is a great option for many families, but agree that there needs to be more accountability for homeschoolers. Not everyone should homeschool their kids. It takes dedication, discipline, and you have to be honest about your own abilities to make sure your child gets a good education.

As for the social aspects. That's also up to parents. My kids had plenty of social interaction. Homeschool P.E. at the park several times a week, homeschool groups, tennis lessons, a book club, art classes at our library...you name it.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:48 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I'm in the middle. They need the school experience, but there is so many dangers at school, even elementry school..... ?
    misskrissie

Answer by misskrissie at 9:24 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I did it for the last 2 yrs of our teen's HS career. He couldn't get along over there, so I did it myself. He got his GED with honors at 16 and was able to start adult life 2 yrs ahead of his peers.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:27 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I am leaning towards it more and more.
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 9:28 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I am in the middle on this. It really depends on the child. In addition to public or home schooling, there may also be possibilities for private or parochial schooling depending on your area or finances. Bottom line, every parent should do what they think is best for their own child, and I would be supportive to any decision they make.
    Ineedmyfix

Answer by Ineedmyfix at 9:45 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• If it is done right I am all for it. I know families who are finished home schooling and a couple who are doing it presently. They are fabulous home schoolers. There's a daily structure, many social activities, etc. All the kids in these families either went on to further education or are performing above grade level. I also know a family who called themselves homeschoolers and let their kids run wild or sit on the couch all day after an hour's worth of "lessons" in the morning. Those kids are doing horribly today. So it depends on the parents view of what education is.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:48 AM on Sep. 14, 2010