Do you keep ALL household devices plugged in 24/7 whether you use them or not daily, like extra lamps and appliances and other items?

My husband and I did what our neighbor suggested except the tvs and unplugged every item we did not use on a daily basis. Just got my electric bill today and it was lower. Now, it could be it was for some other reason, but I would like to think this was the reason.

Doe anyone else conserve energy and reap benefits from cutting back in any other ways?
Please share.

JOCKEYP2PMOM

Asked by JOCKEYP2PMOM at 9:33 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I don't unplug everything because I honestly forget about it. That does sound like a good idea though! Thanks for the tip!
    Mom2RJnVA

Answer by Mom2RJnVA at 9:36 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Energy Saver bulbs are all through out our house. When days are warm and we can stand the heat we turn OFF the AC and open the windows. Just leaving on a ceiling fan if it's not windy. We turn off and unplug everything that does not require a reboot when it loses power when not being used. We wash our clothes in cold water only and since we have three bathrooms we only will flush the one that guests use all the time. We pee more than once in the other ones before we flush. Number two of course gets an immediate flush.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 9:36 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I try to unplug anything that isn't used, but it's hard sometimes. But I did purchase some power strips, that way, all I have to do is turn it off or just unplug one thing instead of 10 things lol
    Stephernie88

Answer by Stephernie88 at 9:41 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Sometimes I do, but I'm lazy. It absolutely WILL impact your electric bill - my DH dabbles in electronics and said that anything plugged in is drawing a small amount of power even though the item isn't being used. It adds up!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:50 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• You wouldn't have to unplug it, I am going to go buy those strips and just shut the strip off.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 9:54 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• We use power strips for all electronics like TV, computers, DVD players, Dish boxes etc.
    CF bulbs in all light fixtures that take traditional bulbs.
    Hot Water heater (electric) on a timer so it isn't warming the water up all day when no one needs hot water.
    Heat Pump/AC off and windows open during days where it isn't too hot or too cold.
    We have energy efficient appliances in the kitchen and laundry room.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:18 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• We do keep things unpluged that are not in use. We did the experiment with our electric bill too and I figured that every little bit was helpful so we continued doing it. My 3 yr old thinks it is a fun game to make sure that all lights are turned off before leaving a room. lol
    mom2abby06

Answer by mom2abby06 at 10:39 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• no because of how our furniture sets it would be a hassle to do it
    sherryb1273

Answer by sherryb1273 at 10:54 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• We live off grid so "vampire appliances" are a big deal to us. You would be shocked what drains there are even when you have an appliance turned off but plugged in. We bought a bunch of power strips and we just flip the switches. One for the entertainment center, one for the desk, two in the kitchen. We charge our devices with a solar charger we invested in.

But yes, if we aren't using something actively it is completely cut off from its power source.
    NEMommaOf3

Answer by NEMommaOf3 at 11:30 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I keep all of our lamps, tv, and computers always plugged in, but I keep all of our small appliances (toaster oven, coffee pot, curling iron) under our counters so they get unplugged each day.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:29 PM on Sep. 14, 2010