anxiety at 2 or just worrying you think?

Anxiety runs very thick in our family genes -both sides - my son the past 2 days is waking in the middle of the night talking about "why weren't you there for me mommy, please don't let me go - I was in a big green jeep and we were going really fast, why weren't you there" then last night he woke up saying Don't leave mommy, please don't leave.. I am not an abscent mother by any means, if anything, besides working, I am with him all the time. I reassure him that Mommy is always here.. its ok .. we hug and he just clings to me.. its freaking me out though - my biggest fear is already him being kidnapped ( I know not likely or anything but.. still too many lifetime movies maybe ) I don't think I am giving him these fears though as this is a pretty recent fear he's having.. Do all kids have these feelings? why would he be having them?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 9:40 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• we have anxiety also which i found out was from a genetic disorder which we are treating now, and my son went through a clingy period and at first i felt them same way as you, but then i though i dont want to put my anxiety on him if this is a normal behavior so reassure him and just watch for awhile it might pass, if not you can look into having him see someone who deals w this, for us it passed and hes fine now. (and our adult family memeber s are being treated ) not my son he never continued to show signs
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 10:05 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Well my 2yr old doesnt. Maybe he is having a nightmare and it really scared him. talk to him about it.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:42 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• For all of time and still in most places human toddlers breastfeed and sleep with their mother until they are 2-3 or older. When the child wakes if he isn't with his mother he crys out so he is protected. It's hardwired in the brain for children to sleep with and be protected by their mother. It's been such a short time in evolutionary terms that some modern cultures mother's don't sleep with their toddlers that we don't know all of the short and long term consequences.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:28 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Well, we were currently sleeping together BOTH times so I don't know how those could relate..
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 10:38 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• It could just be nightmares. My oldest started having them about that age...hers were always about turtles or birds. One of the twins has had this happen once so far too. Unless it doesn't go away or gets worse then I think it's probably normal.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 1:50 PM on Sep. 14, 2010