Cutting down pump sessions without getting matitis or casing me pain..advice if you have it.

I am breastfeeding my almost one year old. I pump 3x a day and have since he was six weeks old. I want to gradually cut out my pump sessions. I feed him at 7am and pump at 10, 1, and 4 then feed him before bed at 7. So there is about 3 hours between each session/feeding. So this week I fed him at 7am and pumped at 11 and 3 and fed him at 7 before bed putting 4 hours between feeds. I felt slightly engorged and really full and pumped more at the 11am session then I did when I used to pump at my 10 and 1 session. Is this normal? Will it decrease? And last quesiton when I go to get rid of another session in a couple of days which one should it be 11am or 3pm? If I cut 11 that would put me at 8 hours between pump or feeding, cutting either of them would put me at a 8 hour stretch without pump/feed. I am trying to eliminate these but I don't want to be in pain or get mastitis. Also, my son he is starting whole milk.

maggiebella25

Asked by maggiebella25 at 9:48 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I nursed and pumped for year too. I just finished a few weeks ago. I stopped doing the day time pumping/feeding like you are doing. Cut 1 session out at a time then a week or two later cut out another. Then you can cut out your feeding with your son/daughter. I felt full everytime that I cut out a feeding but it only lasted for a day or two. Once I stopped completely I was pretty painful for a few days but would just pump enough to relieve the "pressure" that you feel! I call my doctor and asked and they said as long as you are not pumping a lot....you can pump an ounce or so and then stop and it will still start to decrease your milk supply. Good luck to you!! I think stopping the breast fededing was ALOT harder on me then it was for my son!! I was an emotional reck every time though about stopping, even though I REALLY wanted to be done! Funny how your body and mind work!
    Mom2Brock

Answer by Mom2Brock at 9:54 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• i would step down, like cute out one session a week, i only pumped for the first two weeks bc my son couldnt latch well when he started he wasnt sucking as much as i was pumping they told me to use hot wet towel and then wear pads it sort of let things leak for awhile but they would back up as bad but thats all they told me to do, i got it once when i came home and and was awful, if you get it and cant relieve it youll probably need antibiotics
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 9:57 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Your toddler doesn't need milk. After 10 mo the only milk needed is human. If a child is weaned then all they need to drink is water. Only 2 toddler servings a day of milk are recommended and they can easily get that from foods if you want to feed them any cow's milk. Cow's milk is for baby cows. Milk causes constipation, digestive problems, is linked with obesity, and is bad for the environment.

As you stop pumping you can keep nursing. My DIL went back to work when my grandson was 10 mo and never pumped. He just turned 24 mo and she made it the whole recommended 2 years breastfeeding!

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:48 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• The 10 months above should be 12 months.

Gailll

• Cut the PM before the AM... your production is lower in the PM. You can also just pump for shorter amounts of time. TThat will tell the factory to slow down.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:53 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Kudos for going to a year! Try cutting out one session per week. Like gdiamante said start with the PM feeds first. GL mama
    Nameismommy

Answer by Nameismommy at 4:14 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Cutting out one session a week sounds reasonable, as does starting with the evening session. I would say if you find yourself getting lumps/clogs because of cutting sessions out too quickly, you would be safe to pump a little to relieve the pressure, but to do it for less time than you usually pump. That's just a guess, though, based on my own experiences with pumping in the first three weeks of my son's life (he couldn't latch at first and I was pumping every 2 hours and had to figure out how to scale back... ah!).

If you can find a board-certified lactation consultant (they usually have IBCLC credentials listed with their name) they'd be able to confirm what's best.
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 7:47 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Another thing that helped me was adjusting the 'suction' on my pump, I rented a Medela Lactina with me 1st and a Symphony with my 2nd, turning down the suction/power especially in the 2nd half of the pumping session helped shorten the sessions naturally. Warm washcloths also helped (easier to get around my larger breasts than towels). And yes production is usually lower in the afternoon, 3-4pm, versus when you first wake up when hormone levels are typically higher.
    tigrefan98

Answer by tigrefan98 at 8:05 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I haven't been pumping for like 2 to 3 weeks its alot pumping nursing because dd nurses often. But I may start back up at nap times and at night
    mummie2b2010

Answer by mummie2b2010 at 12:03 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• well I went back to work at 6 weeks so I had to pump and I chose to contiune to pump milk for him up until a year. He is trying cows milk so we will see how that goes. I am just curious about how to cut pump sessions without causing me pain or infection.
    maggiebella25

Comment by maggiebella25 (original poster) at 11:54 AM on Sep. 14, 2010