why did they tell her they will tell her what the baby is?

a girl i know is getting a 3-D ultrasound at 13 weeks. And they told her that they will tell her what the baby is. Boy or Girl.

She is getting the ultrasound because her moms first baby didnt have a brain. So im assuming they dont want this to happen with her daughter. but why did they tell her theyll tell her its a boy or girl if the genitals have JUST developed the week before and are not even FINISHED developing?? Strange Right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:34 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Pregnancy

• it's developed, they just can't make it out on traditional U/S until later.
    Anonymous

• I agreed, they can tell. It's developed and with a 3D/4D they can find out for sure. :) I hope all goes well for her
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 8:37 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I can see it being like my friend who was told she was having a girl. That girl was born with one small thing wrong... a penis lol
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 8:39 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• i had a boy 10 weeks ago and we couldnt tell is sex until he was 4 months old. Dont get discouraged about it.... and tell her not to either. She might go and they might be able to tell and then in some cases you go and then have to wait 2 more weeks just like me. Either way.... as long as they can tell the baby is healthy than they have nothing else to worry about.
    KimberlyBailey

Answer by KimberlyBailey at 8:43 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• The genitals are done forming. They form at seven/eight weeks gestation. So not too strange for a 3D If they can get a good shot they should know.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:15 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• damn.. im 7 months and i just found out.. cuz my baby is a brat
    sunshinebaby209

Answer by sunshinebaby209 at 9:21 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• no actually they form between 12-15 weeks autisticsmom.

Anonymous

• The babys genitals are not fully formed by 12-15 weeks however they are clearly distinguishable between male and female, so because a 3-D ultrasound is more clear and is easier to pick up structures than the traditional 2-D type it is often easier to tell the sex at a much earlier gestation. It is not guaranteed however which is why it is sometimes better to wait until 17 weeks or so with a 3-D ultrasound
    cougarkristi

Answer by cougarkristi at 10:29 PM on Oct. 16, 2008