Children and seat belts...we hit a deer last night....

It could have been much worse as it was it is very minor. My problem is my daughter refuses to wear the shoulder belt the right way. She is constantly putting the shoulder strap behind her. I am constantly telling her to fix her belt. Last night when the deer attacked my new car :(. she had the strap behind her. She is in the back seat and hubby had to swerve and brake pretty hard. She was jolted forward. She was not hurt, It scared her really bad and she cried. In the heat of the moment I got mad because she was not wearing the belt right. Learning experience, yes, teaching opportunity, yes. My daughter is to big for booster seats, to small for the front seat. Is there anything I can do to make the shoulder strap more comfortable for her?

Noosa

Asked by Noosa at 9:54 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You know, I have a problem with the shoulder strap myself. I'm 5' 2", and it cuts across my neck instead of my shoulder. Toys R Us used to have a belt adjuster that attached to the belt near the buckle, at both the lap belt and shoulder belt, and made it so that you could adjust how the shoulder belt would sit across your body. I don't know if they still have them, but I'm going to go look today!!

Good Luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:59 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I think they make little "cozy" things to go around the seat belt strap that are made of a softer material so that it does not have that scratchy feel. Have you tried one of those?
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 9:57 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• The deer attacked your car? I live in MN in the heart of deer season and have yet to see that. Sorry had to laugh, mental pic LOL I have hit a few in my day! They can do some damage! They have padding that wraps around the shoulder strap. I'll bet you could google it. I have seen them in cars before.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:02 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I personally take a small towel and put it under the belt near my shoulder when I ride in the back seat. Both our cars have very tight straps in the back seat. Don't know if this might help. Just an idea.............
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:57 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I'm glad you're all alright! How scary! I have that problem with my kids, too. I've seen wraps for the shoulder belts, but that's all I can think of. I think they help cushion the belt, so it doesn't rub or irritate.
    toobigfrogs

Answer by toobigfrogs at 9:58 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• agree with mommy11260. My MIL has a soft, fuzzy, "tube" that fits over the strap and helps it be more comfortable.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• how old/big is she ohio just passed a law which i think was crazy but for this reason that kids up to 8yr or 4'9 have to be in a booster seat so they are forced to use the shoulder strap, bc a girl was paralyzed from just wearing the bottom belt during a crash and i guess it can cause internal damage. of course these are probably high speed crashes but 8 yrs old seems old to me but i guess not bc thats how they do it now.... so tell her if she wont wear it you put her in one
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 10:00 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• youll put her in a booster * and yea they strap is a good idea for comfort
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 10:01 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• they make something that actually kind of connect the sholder belt an dthe lap belt together so that the sholder belt does nt run so high up and hurts your shomeulders or neck. Not sure what it is called but it kind of looks like the metal seat belt clips that come with the older cars seats to hold the two belts together when you are installing the car seat!
    Mom2Brock

Answer by Mom2Brock at 10:02 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I'm glad you guys are OK! I've used those 'cozy' things too, that are meant to lower the shoulder strap so it fits better. My six year old is a big kid for his age, but he's still in a backless booster.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 10:02 AM on Sep. 14, 2010