How do you break a toddler of hitting and throwing fits?

My son is 20 months old and has began hitting and throwing HORRIBLE temper tantrums. He will throw himself on the ground, scream, kick, etc. We try telling him "NO" firmly when he hits. We try ignoring him when he throws his fits, but NOTHING seems to work with this child. He is soo stubborn.

AMZF812

Asked by AMZF812 at 10:17 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my 19 month old starts throwing a temper tantrum I usually walk out of the room. (provided that I know there isn't anything in his way to get hurt on.) He is so curious about what I am doing in the other room that he will usually get up and come looking for me. That helps him to be easily distracted from whatever he was throwing a fit about. We are still working on the occasional hitting. We firmly tell him no and he seems to be getting out of it more lately.
    mom2abby06

Answer by mom2abby06 at 10:31 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Ignore it and let him cry it out. He'll get the point, eventually, but it might take several tries. Another thing you can do is put him in his crib or timeout and tell him you'll be back when he calms down.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 10:52 AM on Sep. 14, 2010