Do You find Halloween costumes that are of a certain race or nationality (Native American)to be disrespectful?

I haven't dressed my kids up like any of these costumes personally. But some schools were not allowing kids to dress up like Native Americans, because some people were offended by it.and found it degrading to Native Americans. I'm wondering if it is under the same grounds as changing the baseball team's name from Indians, to something else.

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 10:18 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I kind of understand their feelings. As a witch, I find the green-faced, wart-nosed witch costumes offensive (altho I don't mind the sexy, fish-net stockings, glam witches at ALL!!! LOL!). Still, if the costume is researched and based upon genuine clothing worn by Native peoples (as opposed to the cliched Lone Ranger and Tonto) I wouldn't see a problem. I suppose it is true of any ethic or religious group. You dislike having your beliefs made fun of, even in innocent fun.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:15 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I don't, but thats just me. It would be like me telling a little girl, No you can't be a scary witch because thats degrading to Wiccan's & Pagan's. Its just a part of life. Its just a costume. But again thats just me.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 10:21 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• No. I'm not offended by things that are done in a fun nature. Halloween costumes are not meant to offend anybody. They are meant to facilitate a fun evening for kids and adults.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:28 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• OMG people seriuosly need to GET OVER IT.
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 10:35 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• well being 1/ 4 native american it dosen't bother me at all, i actually want my dd to dress up like a native american b/c she has the blakc hair and olive skin so i think she'd be beautiful
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:35 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I am multi-racial, half Native American and my children and I live just off the nearby reservation land. I see no reason that children cannot dress up as whatever they want to be. After all, if a child dresses up as a nurse, do you find it derogatory towards nurses? It is fine for children to explore our culture and pretend-play and dress up, there is nothing defamatory here. However, most of the commercial costumes are so inaccurate that it is laughable. It would be far more educational if a parent chose to actually help the child investigate the culture before choosing a costume, and make it somewhat more authentic.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 10:44 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I am also part Native American... I have some of my great grandfathers tribal head dresses.... I would be honored if my children want to wear them... that would be honoring our ancestors on a Holiday that is all about honoring those who have passed on!!! I'd be psyched!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 10:48 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• It wouldn't generally offend me, because we all dressed up like cowboys and indians when I was a kid, so I see it less as an insult and more as kinds having fun... BUT, I can see how it would easily be offensive. I mean, you wouldn't let your kids dress up like escaped slaves would you? Well, in many ways it's really the same thing. I would say in another generation or so these costumes won't even be available... However, if you were doing a "culturally" accurate or a costume from your own cultural heritage, I would see it as more of an honor than an insult... As for the baseball team and what not... Yes, I do think those are very offensive. The idea of a big red skinned man being beat up by a chicken - or who ever they are playing that day, is just horrid in my mind!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:50 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I agree with josiesmommy on this one. Sometimes its a heritage thing. If my little girl wanted to dress up like a native american for halloween I would encourage it. Her great great grandmother was full blooded cherokee indian, even though you cant tell it to look at my light skinned, fair haired little girl with blue eyes. I would be appalled if someone judged her and spoke badly of her for wanting to display a part of her history and pay tribute to her ancestors just because she doesn't "look" the part. I think it has to do with the context of the situation. If someone is being racist in their actions you can generally tell
    teagansmom10

Answer by teagansmom10 at 10:58 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I saw a white guy dressed up like a black guy at a party, makup and all. I thought that was a little degrading. I guess I could see the issue.
    But with this particular situation, there are three major Reservations nearby the area that are invlolved in the community.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 10:30 AM on Sep. 14, 2010