How do you discipline your toddler?

Our son is 20 months old. We try telling him "NO" firmly. We trying explaining to him why he shouldn't be doing something. On occassion, we will smack his hand. But he still continues to do what he isn't suppose to do OVER and OVER again. (climbing on things, hitting, screaming, hurting the cat, etc)

AMZF812

Asked by AMZF812 at 10:19 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wish I could give you a better answer, but I do the same thing. I tell my son no and slap his hand sometimes. The key is to not give in though. Keep up consistency, that way he will know you aren't making empty threats.
    Stephernie88

Answer by Stephernie88 at 10:20 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My son does not feel pain very well, when he ripped off his toenail and it was bleeding everywhere he just said Oww mommy. So we are trying time out because smacking his hand had no effect.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 10:23 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Misteh - How old is your son? Where do you put him for a timeout? Does he actually stay in timeout or does he try to leave?

I've thought about trying a timeout with my son, but I don't think he will stay. He is very stubborn, and doesn't listen very well at all.
    AMZF812

Comment by AMZF812 (original poster) at 10:25 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I agree with the PP about consistency. Whatever you choose to do for discipline isn't really the point. It is doing the same thing every time immediately. My son knows when he is disobeying so I don't give "chances" (unless it is a new rule or something) I just pick him up and sit him in his Time Out chair and set the timer. It isn't fair to not discipline him sometimes and then the next time discipline him for it. It has to be totally consistent or they will try to push it every time.
    coffeemom86

Answer by coffeemom86 at 10:28 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My son is 19 months old and we do the same thing with continuously saying no. He has a ton of energy and it is hard, but you just have to stay consistant. Distraction works best for us. If he keeps doing something I have to tell him no for then I will sit him on the couch with a book or try to move him to another room.
    mom2abby06

Answer by mom2abby06 at 10:28 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Keep putting him in time out. I've seen Super Nanny a few times and that's how she says to do it. I can't keep my 5 year old in time out for anything. I put my 20 month old in her playpen for a time out. No toys.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 10:29 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• We use time out, no smacking or spanking. We use the pack n play as the timeout. My daughter hates its. We always give her a warning. If she continues doing whatever she is doing (or if she does it again, depending on the situation) she'll go into timeout. Then if she does do it, we say, "Ok, I guess you want to go into timeout." Many times that's enough to stop the behavior, but if it doesn't, we follow through and put her into timeout. When put her in and when we get her out, we explain why she was in there. We've been doing this since she was able to walk and it works very well for us.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 10:50 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• We recently got temporary custody of our 20 month old granddaughter and we do all the things you do. However if she is doing something that is dangerous to herself or others, in a loud firm voice I say, " STOP" instead of no. It seems she hears no practically all day long, so the word STOP, gets her attention. At the same time I make a symbol w/ my hands. It's like a karate chop across my flat palm of the other hand. This works to get her to stop the behavior that could hurt her, such as grabbing the dog or going to the stove, etc. I agree w/ others that consistency is our best option. But if anyone has any better ideas. PLEASE inbox me!!! LOL!
    RosieCheeks64

Answer by RosieCheeks64 at 11:04 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Honestly? I pop their hands if its REALLY bad or just repeated after 21547654231 times of me saying no. I get a different voice when I'm mad. I make it louder and deeper and look mad. That gets their eyes on you, teach them that you are going to count to 3 and once thats done, if theyre still being bad, its time out. Then if after two rounds, its a pop on the hand and time out. Some kids wont listen to that or respond to the hand pop but if you get lucky they will. My kids arent always great listeners but I can normally count to 2 and they stop because they dont like time out.Timeout training sucks because its a lot of crying and putting them back in the seat. If all else fails, get a family member to get on to them. Someone that NEVER yells at them though. It scares them because its not someone theyre use to. Good luck! :)
    MommaWoods

Answer by MommaWoods at 11:20 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Timeouts work for us and we actually started when she was under a year. At that young of an age we put her in our lap and hold her hands for a time out and it was like 30 sec. She is now almost 2 and knows what time out is and doesn't like it. Kids don't like to be kept still. So now if she isn't listening all I have to do is ask "do you need a time-out?" and she usually says no and then stops whatever she ws doing. Of course if she doesn't stop you Have to follow through and give the time out. Distration is also a good tenique that helps us too. Give them something else to do. My brother uses the 1-2-3 magic with his DD (some age) and that works for them. Just find a system and be consistent. Good luck!
    NHRachel

Answer by NHRachel at 11:23 AM on Sep. 14, 2010