what do you do with a teenager that trys to refuse to go to school and is so disrespectful that the only way to controll him he even disrespects my neighbors

kim328

Asked by kim328 at 10:20 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Can you clarify? What is the only way you have found to control him?
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:22 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Start looking into a Military School.... Or something like it. Take EVERYTHING he enjoys away. & Don't allow him to go ANYwhere but school & Home.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 10:22 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Call a truant(sp) officer on him. In some states the parents can be punished if the child doesn't attend school. Advise the neighbors to call the authorities on him.Sometimes that's the only way to deal with some kids, they need some authority figure and obviouly if you can't be that figure, the Police can. Maybe just that will scare him enough to straighten him out.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 10:23 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Check with your school, and your local law enforcement, many have programs for difficult or "at risk" teens.

Beyond that. I'd take away all privileges. No driver's license (if they're old enough) block texting on their cell phone if they have one. Take away computers, etc., but follow through.

Good luck, I think the teen years are the toughest. don't give up, and you'll get through to the other side!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:23 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Good luck to you sweetie. I can't answer your question because mine range from 1-9, but my in-laws were like that growing up. My husband was not. One of my sisters-in-law was brought to school kicking and screaming because the school told her parents she had to be in school. They brought her in and were told they had to take her out. I believe the way the story went is that they said, "you made us bring her here, so here she is. You deal with her." Anyhow, she grew up and is a responsible, married, independent mother of 6!
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 10:25 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Start with the school counselor - there may be programs you can get involved in to help learn ways to deal with anger issues in your teens. Seek professional help. Do not cover for him when doesn't go to school - you are only enabling the situation. How do you control him now?
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 10:26 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Let him stay home and fail. You can't make him do anything. He's old enough to learn what consequences are. The consequences are, give him nothing you don't have to, and call a truancy officer if he leaves the house.

But it sounds like there may be more to this. Is he being bullied, dealing with a tough situation or class and not talking about it? Something personal going on? Maybe he needs to talk. Sounds like he's hurting.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:28 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My mom called the cops on me once when i didn't want to go to school. They showed up & got my ass out of bed. I never tried it again. Not sure if all police will do that though.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:30 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• That seems to be the #1 answer for not going to school,being bullied and threatened.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:37 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I would start by taking away privileges & getting him in counseling.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 10:40 AM on Sep. 14, 2010