Did Obama Really Say PA Won't Vote For Him Because They Are All Racists?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:41 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Where did you hear that?
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 8:47 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• No, but someone did. :)

You might be thinking of Representative John Murtha who was quoted as saying "There is no question that western Pennsylvania is a racist area." Today he apparently apologized for it and tried to make it all better.
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/16/murtha.racism.apology/index.html

In April, Obama did offend some in Western PA when he spoke before a private fundraising event and said: "they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."
    http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/obama/891685,CST-NWS-obama12.article

I think you fan find that quote on YouTube

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 8:47 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• he said “Are some voters not going to vote for me because I’m African-American? Those are the same voters who probably wouldn’t vote for me because of my politics,”
    Anonymous

• Oops, I mean "I think you CAN find that quote on YouTube."
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 8:48 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I was getting ready for work when it came on the news and I had forgotten about it till just a few minutes ago that's why I asked the question just now. I know there is a lot of politics going on so I figured someone would know.
    Anonymous

• I'm from western PA and there are a lot of racists here. But from what I understand, Obama is still predicted to win PA. I don't think racism really matters, though. I know of a few people who I always thought were huge racists and they are voting for Obama. Not to mention, sometimes their hatred doesn't even matter. Most union members (which there are a lot of here) vote straight democrat..

Oh, I remember when it was said because I really wasn't surprised. It wasn't Obama, but one of our reps, I don't remember who so I will take ldmrmom's word for it.... John Murtha said it.
    Anonymous

• racist people are everywhere....even here on cafe mom
    Anonymous

• and good heavens there are even racists that are not the majority....reverse racists. people who have openly admitted to me that they despise white folk...it is just a human frailty...

Ignorance...

SFerber

Answer by SFerber at 10:10 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I hope he didn't make a statement like that.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 11:19 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• No he did not make a statement like that. It was a rep that did. I believe it was Murtha as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Oct. 17, 2008