Where can someone get free or very inexpensive material and quilting supplies??

There is a woman that works for my organization that has asked for help finding free or very inexpensive quilting supplies. She and her friends makes quilts for the pediatric cancer unit for a local hospital. She said that they used to buy their supplies at Walmart but they no longer have a fabric section. She has contacted other places like JoAnn's and they will not give her a discount. She said they cannot afford to keep doing this unless they find a cheaper alternative.
She did say that the material has to be 100% cotton, apparently it is a hospital rule.

FeelinYummy

Asked by FeelinYummy at 10:26 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• There is a great site called freecycle. You can post and give away unwanted items and then post for unwanted items in return. I have given away used appliances, clothes, lines and much more and I have received back appliances, computer parts, clothes, etc... i am currently using an upright freezer that was given to me through freecycle and have had it for about 3 years now with no problems. it works great.
    I believe in recycling so i just love freecycle.
    violetz

Answer by violetz at 3:59 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• It depends on where you live. I live in Los Angeles, and I can go to the garment district, a swap meet, and a couple of stores around here that sell end bolts, and last years fabrics for next to nothing.

If you don't have anything like that near you, I would check out garage sales, people start hobbies spend a lot of money and then don't follow through. I've gotten stacks and stacks of brand new fabric for nothing at garage sales. Consider posting an ad on craigslist. They might find someone who just wants to get rid of the stuff taking up space in their home!

Good luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:47 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Try thrift stores. They can have some inexpensive material.
    dragonlady44

Answer by dragonlady44 at 10:54 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Thrift stores, Craigslist, Freecycle.com, etc. Have you also considered doing a fundraiser? An easy way would be to do a restaurant fundraiser where the restaurant donates a percentage of it's profits earned during a specifc time period. Usually you have to provide the invites to the donation night yourself and the restaurant does the rest. Depending on who you do the fundraiser with, you may need to provide proof of what you are doing with the money.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:34 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Your local fabric store (not a big chain, a privately owned one) may be able to help. At the very least they should have discounted fabric on clearance. I'd also go to a quilt guild or quilting class and ask those ladies. Quilters ALWAYS have extra fabric they are willing to part with, even if it's only a little. Well except for me - I save everything, lol. It's for when I have the time to make charity quilts myself. (Yeah, like that will every happen.)
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 9:37 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Also, I do agree about yardsales or craigs list. I have found used sewing material and craft supplies cheaply at thrift stores also.
    violetz

Answer by violetz at 4:02 AM on Sep. 15, 2010