Boxers!

We recently got a cute little boxer puppy. He is now almost 7 months old and weighs in at just under 55 pounds. He is a super smart dog. Does anyone else have a boxer? How long did it take for him to learn any tricks/commands? It take my dog anywhere from about 5 minutes to 20 minutes.

QueenMomma2023

Asked by QueenMomma2023 at 10:33 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Pets

• We have a female white boxer who is 5 yrs old. She is a hoot! They are extremely stubborn. And child-like. They love to play and must have lots of play/attention or they can be destructive. Ours drags her food bowl all over the yard if she's bored, leading us on a nightly bowl hunt. I absolutely LOVE their expressions! They are the best of dogs, so gentle. Our son is 3.5 yrs old and she is soooo good with him. She lets him put her collar and a leash on her anytime and walk her alllllllll over the place. lol. We did obedience class for her and of course she graduated top of the class. They are very intelligent, just stubborn as heck.
    miraclebabymine

Answer by miraclebabymine at 7:13 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• it should take to long to teach this breed of dog tricks. just keep being consistent and within a few minutes he should learn commands. we had a boxer but rehomed her cause she didn't get the attention she deserved with a new baby and our new yard was just so tiny and husband who owned the dog didn't walk her enough, like never actually and with the heat here i couldn't bare it nor the girls. if you exercise first you should be able to get the dogs attention better when training. even at this age he should learn a lot.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 10:46 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• He does learn really quickly. I think he is absolutely brilliant. It took him less than five minutes to learn high five, and only about 15 or so to learn how to play dead. I'm sorry you had to get rid of your boxer. He is our first, and I'm pretty sure he will not be our last. He is the best!
    QueenMomma2023

Comment by QueenMomma2023 (original poster) at 10:48 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Boxers are incredibly intelligent but are also known for their stubbornness.

Please remember to keep regular commands going as well. The more important ones are come, heel, stay, sit, down. Tricks are neat and fun to show off, but they won't keep him off the road if he is accidentally let out, or they won't get him to come if he is about to run after a rabbit or something.

Boxers also need a ton of exercise, they are active dogs. So, make sure he gets lots of walks too.

Good Luck. I love boxers.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:57 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• i love boxers too
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:20 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Ours learns really fast. I just wish she would learn not to jump!
    jnd951999

Answer by jnd951999 at 12:43 PM on Sep. 15, 2010