Dogs eating cat food and cat poop

How do you keep your dog from pilfering the cat food? And how do you keep him/her from eating the cat poop out of the litter box? My dog continues to do both and it drives me crazy!

QueenMomma2023

Asked by QueenMomma2023 at 10:35 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Pets

• I have the catboxes and food in the guest bathroom with a baby gate that keep the dogs and the baby out. You can't expect to ever train a dog not to eat cat food or cat poo. It's just what they do.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 8:47 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• yea we keep out cat bowl on the counters. which sucks for us but they aren't eating his food. maybe you could give your cat some pineapple juice %100 of pineapple chunks. its suppose to make the poo taste bad and after awhile the dog might stop eating it. cats don't digest their food completely.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 10:42 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• We have a two floor house, so we have a baby gate at the top of the stairs, and the dogs are not allowed downstairs. The cats can go anywhere they want, so they have their litter boxes and cat food downstairs.

But hey, on the bright side, at least you don't have to clean out the litter box as often! ;)
    kathria

Answer by kathria at 12:10 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• well my cat is outside but if you want your dog to stop, do you have an area that you could put the litter box and cat's food bowl so the dog can't get to it? that's what i'd do
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:36 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• How big of a dog is it ? I got these litter boxes that basically look like storage containers with a hole in the lid. It has done a great job of keeping the dogs onut of the box. My only complaint is that if litter gets on the lid it ends up on the floor when you got to scoop the box. I also keep my cats food bowls up high so that the dogs won't get into it.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:39 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Dogs love cat food b/c the fat content is higher and it taste good... IDK why they like the sandy-cigars... but it's gross. We keep the cat food and litter in the basement and leave the door open a crack. I made a chain so the kids couldn't open the door wider then the cats. It's worked great so far!! They all drink water out of the dogs bowl, so that stays upstairs. Good luck!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 10:40 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• He is a boxer. We have temporarily put the litter box in the mudroom and used a baby gate to keep the dog out of there to stay out of the litter. But there isn't really anywhere else that we can put the cat food that he can't get to it. Right now it is in the bay window, but he can so easily reach that. We try to feed them at the same time, and not give the cats more than they can eat so there isn't any leftover for the dog to get, but that doesn't always work. Thanks for the input!
    QueenMomma2023

Comment by QueenMomma2023 (original poster) at 10:42 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• The cats eat on a counter. I use pine litter in a box next to the toilet. When someone goes in the litter I scoop it up and flush it. There is never poop in the litter.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:42 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I put my cat food and litter boxes in the laundry room. Then I put a baby gate across the doorway. I can step over it to get in and out and the cats jump over but my dogs can't get in. When I had a big dog and the cats I put a cat door in the laundry room door that only the cats could get through. Now I have little dogs that can fit through a cat door so I had to go to the baby gate. It works great though.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 2:05 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Both my dogs are big so I have a litter box with a lid that they can't really stick their head in--as far as their food--I have actually built somewhat of a maze in the basement~~~using baby gates and things that happen to be down there anyway~~seems to be working but it does sound kinda silly LOL
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 3:22 PM on Sep. 14, 2010