15 month old waking up once

Hello!

If you had a 15 month old who was waking up once during the night...would you nurse him/her if you knew it would get him right back to sleep, or would you just ignore and not go in the room altogether, or would you pat his back and walk out? We'd like for our baby to sleep ALL night, and nip this once a night waking in the bud, but we're not sure if it's too early to do that...and if eventually he will drop this feeding.

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Not only would I nurse, but, the baby would be in bed and I probably wouldn't even notice I nursed the baby.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:43 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My nurslings slept with me and nursed at night until they were 3. My DIL works and my 24 mo grandson nurses 2-3 times a night to make up for her being gone during the day. It's normal for a toddler to wake and nurse until they are 3 or older.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:45 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Not at 15 months, no. I wouldn't have bottle fed them either. Both my kids woke up about once at night for about a month around that age. I would just go in their rooms, lay them back down and rub their backs till they went to sleep. But I never fed them or gave them water. I would check to make sure they weren't soaking wet lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:49 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• If you don't want to get into a bad habit, I wouldn't nurse/give bottle, but that being said, we NEVER did this with my DD (18 mos). We tried the whole CIO/self soothing/no bottle thing & it just wasn't for us. I always felt guilty denying her a bottle or whatever she needed because I felt maybe she really does need something. She also had frequent ear infections so we felt too bad letting her cry when it could've been from pain or discomfort. My DD didn't start STTN until she was 14 months & then that only lasted for a month because at 15 months she started cutting her molars (she got 4 molars + 2 others within 6 weeks). She was also having night terrors. In order for all of us to get a good night's sleep, we brought her (back into) bed with us (we'd stopped co-sleeping at 10 months) at 17 months & now she STTN. I'm sure we should have done things differently, but it works for us.
    Lo_and_Behold

Answer by Lo_and_Behold at 11:01 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Lo, with my daughter, there were times when we had to bring her to our bed as well. Just on rare occasions. I knew the differences in her "cries". Sometimes they were just sleeping cries, others it was pain. She was a very hard teether. So there were times when I either had to bring her to bed, or be up with her. But for the most part we just had to go in and rub their backs till they fell back asleep!
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:20 AM on Sep. 14, 2010