Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

My ex husband has not seen his child for 9 years what do i need to get to get full cusdoy of my son i have no clue were he lives or were he is at i live in north carolina if anyonw can help thank you

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (9)
  • You call always file for full custody and say he abandoned his child and his been 9 years and you have not seen or heard from him since then. They will set up a court hearing and if they either can't find him or he fails to show up you'll get full custody.

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:45 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

  • You have full custody. In a courts eyes you have full custody. Don't worry. If you can't even find him, I'd leave well enough alone. If you do anything like that in front of a judge, he will be located and notified which means he could come back in your life.

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:46 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

  • If he hasn't seen the child for that long then you can file an abandonment charge, get full custody and he still has to pay child support

    Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:46 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

  • have not heard from him or seen him at all, my son does not knw who he is he sasy he ahs no daddy

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:48 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

  • What do you have now? What does it  matter? I think it's called sole custody.

    My ex never only saw my son once in the hospital the day after he was born. The next day he filed for divorce and I never saw him again except in court. I never needed any papers saying anything about custody and my son is now 22.  


    Answer by Gailll at 10:52 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

  • well am afriad that he might try to find us and being the a**hole he is if he chould get his hands on him he would take him and run, my son has hearts prob;ems that chould kill him which the a** knows nothing about so am worried for my son

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:54 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

  • in this state when you can't find someone what they ask you to do is publish that your looking for him in your city newspaper stating that you filing papers for custody or what not. you go ahead and file the paperwork in court. a date is set. if he doesn't show then it's default and you get what you ask for automatically. i would go down to your local court and look at the forms that they have for you to file for full custody and see what the guidelines are for filing them and they usually will enclose how you are to serve him and if he can't be found it should explain what the courts expect you to do. they have instructions on them.

    Answer by melody77 at 11:03 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

  • that is considered abandonment in the courts eyes, and they will automatically award you sole custody

    Answer by BradensMom1026 at 12:20 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

  • I agree with the first reply you got .. its always best to do it thrugh the courts .. good luck

    Answer by MrsTT at 8:56 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.