I'm 39 years old should I get an amnio done?

heidiharmon

Asked by heidiharmon at 10:47 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Only if your blood test comes back saying your child could possibly have down syndrome. Then I don't know if I would even do it. Is it really going to matter to you if there is something wrong with your child?
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 10:49 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• That is completely up to you. I wouldn't. It wouldn't change how I felt about the pregnancy anyway. Most of the time it's to prepare the mom for POSSIBLE issues and it's never a straight yes or no...only a percentage. I would live without the stress and deal with things as they come.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:50 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I would only get one done if all the tests leading up to that point show some abnormality, and even then I'm not sure I would. An amnio can't be done until 16-20 weeks. Also, I think that 1 in ever 200 amnios result in miscarriage. I don't like those numbers.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:52 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• i wouldnt, just bc you will or will not have a child with down syndrome if you can prepare yourself for either outcome then thats all you could have done w the amnio knowing it has down syndome what would you do research it, wo the risk just do the same and know everything you think you need to know for that child, and pray for the best. no need to risk it. and i was told on ultrasound they can look for clue of down syndrome so if they know your age they might do that anyway, dont worry too much
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 10:58 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• If you plan on keeping the child - I don't see the point. I don't bother with any of the tests. They aren't 100% accurate and I know I will love the child anyway. If the test came back positive it's true you could prepare yourself, but I know I would also worry and there is no guarantee that the test is accurate! I am 35 and will not be doing any tests on future pregnancies. I guess it would be different if they could do something about it before the baby was born.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:59 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• No, I would live without the stress and deal with things as they come. It really depends on what you believe the risks are and how you feel about having an unexpected outcome of your pregnancy.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 10:59 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I was 36 when I had my youngest son. My doctor offered it as well. We talked about my family's history of "older mom" births. He also asked if anything would change my mind about having the baby. I assured him that nothing would change my mind. He quoted me the statistic, at 36 my chances of a down syndrome baby were 1 in 300. Or as he said 299 are born just fine! And reminded me that it was strictly a number. Knowing this was going to be my last child I didn't want to risk losing him due to having the amnio, so I opted out. He was a perfect 9 lbs. 15 oz! My maternal grandmother had children into her early 40's with no problems. My aunt was 38 or 39 when she had twins, which were 7 lbs.each! You can only decide what is best for you though. God Bless!
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 10:59 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• That's a very personal choice, but iIf you are concerned that your child might have a genetic problem & want the option to prepare for the possibility, then it may be a good idea.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:00 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• No. I had an amnio done at 36 weeks to test for lung development and they had to stick me 3 times. It is a horrible procedure and if they can have to stick you 3 times in a nearly full term pregnancy with normal fluid how can you trust them to get taking a sample from an early pregnancy? I wouldn't risk the life of the baby just to know. I wouldn't abort because of downs syndrome.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:01 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I wouldnt. I dont do any of those tests though. It doesnt matter to me whether my child has an abnormality or not. Im going to love it the same and no way would i abort it. I would just worry and stew if they told me something was wrong. No pregnant woman needs that. Id rather leave it alone ans see when he or she comes just as you would without the tests.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 2:54 PM on Sep. 14, 2010