Lying

What do you do when your child lies to you? Do you call them on it? Do you punish them?

QueenMomma2023

Asked by QueenMomma2023 at 10:50 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes I call them on it. Depending on their age depended on punishment. I also try to give them the opportunity to tell the truth before I accept what they say if I am reasonably sure they are lying. I guess too, it depends on what they are lying about. I agree with Jademom, it's never too young to learn!
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 11:03 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Yes I call her on it. She also gets punished. Although she is only 3, it's never too young to learn what the truth is and what happens when you lie
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:52 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• ASk them why they felt the need to lie to me.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 11:47 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• yes i call them on it, and punishment depends on the lie- small lie = small punishment
    pennycandy

Answer by pennycandy at 11:48 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Hell yeah, I call her out on it! I explain the importance of being able to have people trust you and that lying destroys trust. Then, I show her what it's like to not have someone trust her (me) and it totally sucked for her. She learned her lesson.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:30 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• we do NOT tolerate lying in this house. my 5 year old has serious issues with that, and we don't know why it's happening, but she does get punished for it, grounding to her bed, one pillow, one blanket for two days. We've only had to do it once, and she hasn't lied since.
    Now, not listening.. that's another problem all together lol
    Wrtngfantasymom

Answer by Wrtngfantasymom at 12:48 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Yep...don't let it get to a point where every word that comes out of thier mouth is a lie...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 2:05 PM on Sep. 15, 2010