How do i help my daughter.

My daughter is 5 and in kindergarten has been since aug.3rd. she is doing good at school but every morning at home she cries and cries on the bus sometimes too.she will say i dont want to go to school, i'm going to miss you guys too much,i want to stay home stuff like that.we have tried telling her its ok,she is ok.anything we tell her hasnt comforted her enough for her to stop this little habit that is beginning to get annoying with mommy and daddy lol any tips or advice? i didnt think it would last this long for her to get used to school and everything.

alyssa1

Asked by alyssa1 at 10:54 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• try a token economy system for her. laminate a piece of cool paper with her favorite princess ect. go to the dollar store and buy a few toys to put in a treaure chest ( a lil box ) and attach like 4 velcro stickys (SOFT SIDE) u can get at the dollar store and cut out a few icons that match her laminated reward chart and stick the ROUGH side of velcro on the back of the icons. POST UP IN A PLACE SHE CAN REACH AND SEE and EVERYTiME SHE DOES WEIl WHEN ITS TIME TO LEAVE FOR SCHOOL LET HER PUT AN ICON ON HER CHART AND WEN SHE GETS 4 LET HER PICK A TOY OUT OF HER CHEST. HOPE THIS HELPS. OH AND DONT FORGET TO PRAISE HER WEN SHE DOES WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ITS A BIGGIE! TELL HER HOW GREAT SHE DID AND THAT SHE
    MADE U VERY HAPPY.
    Brown-Sugga

Answer by Brown-Sugga at 10:54 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Try sending her to school with something familiar, a photo of you and dad, a small toy from her toy box, something of hers from home. It's hard to leave home at that age, and sometimes children are afraid they will never come home again. (there is that phrase "You can't go home again" and it's very true, even for children.) Good luck to your little girl. She will adjust, eventually.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 10:58 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I think it will just take some time.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 11:43 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My dd1 who's now 10 went through that. I asked her teacher if I could come in and help out once in a while. It made it much easier on my dd who eventually learned that going to school was okay.

I also got her a timer and set it for five minutes AFTER she was due to get off the bus. I told her when it went off either she would be home again or she would be on the way home (in case of delays or bad weather). It counted down and so she was able to look at it and see how much longer until she was coming home. That was a big help, too.
    NEMommaOf3

Answer by NEMommaOf3 at 11:48 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I agree with sending something familiar with her, like a picture or something small she can keep in her pocket. Volunteering in the class would also help.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:29 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• i cant volunteer i am a sahm who doesnt drive and i have a 3 month old to take care of
    alyssa1

Comment by alyssa1 (original poster) at 11:06 AM on Sep. 15, 2010

• I remember crying almost everyday in Kindergarden for my mom...I was so attached to her and wanted to spend every waking minute with her...now that I'm grown I still do...it passed though and by the time I was in third grade I was all cried out...funny thing, I was just talking to my dd's about me being a big cry baby in kindergarden for my mom...lol
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 2:04 PM on Sep. 15, 2010