Why have I not heard of anyone talk about drug addiction? adult content

My sisters(27 & 39) are both drug addicts.It affects everyone in my family.All of their children have been taken away from them, a total of 9 kids.I have custody of my 12 year old nephew & the rest of them are in foster care.My mother has been through hell worrying about them on the streets,stealing from her,jail and every thing else you could imagine.When my daughter was 9 years old she found her father dead of an accidental overdose(xanax & methadone) on a weekend visit in 2006.Drug addiction has affected my family in so many ways and I know i'm not the only one.Is this subject taboo on cafe mom?

LeannasMom409

Asked by LeannasMom409 at 10:56 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in About CafeMom

• I can't imagine it's taboo. It's just not something people want to admit affects their lives, more likley. I have 4 aunts and uncles. Out of those, one has spent his entire adult life in and out of jail for stupid stuff. My aunt is homeless, crazy, and addicted to drugs, tho she won't admit it. Both of her kids hate her, and have kicked her out of the house that she helped to build. (Her husband did nothing to stop them...great family, eh?) My other two uncles are addicted to various pain killers, and both of them have lost their children (totaling 5, and all under the age of 6) to the state, 3 of whom my mother is raising, the other two are in a maternal relative's custody. I've known several people who've overdosed on drugs, and it has majorly affected my life. I've sworn many times if I ever catch my son so much as smoking a cigarette I will literally tan his hide.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 11:04 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• There are groups for it.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 11:00 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I'm sure there must be a something about it somewhere. Go to your Groups tab and search groups. If there isn't one, why no start one?
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:03 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I personaly answerd to a similar question , one lady talking about her brother ( the Question was posted a few days ago )
    Just be patient with her and show her that you'r here to lessen whatever she'll say , ask her for some advice just to let her share something with you and let her feel she's important and u could count on her , do all your best and never give up cause its not easy for her so it will not be a peace of cacke for you either .
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 11:01 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I think people are just afraid of the topic in general. For most it's too personal to discuss or they just don't know how to approach it. My sister was married to a drug addict/alcoholic. Though he stopped the drugs, pouring alcohol in your coffee does not signal to me you are still on the wagon. It is true just how horribly this disease affects families. His addiction cost him his marriage to my sister and a relationship with my nephew. Its amazing that those with the addiction can never see the harm they are doing because they are so self absorbed in soothing of their own pain they just don't care to see it!
    MzZiXiu4U

Answer by MzZiXiu4U at 11:04 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I know what you are talking about.My family have been going through this drug thing for many of years.
    Toysbaby

Answer by Toysbaby at 11:04 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Please let me known if you decide to start one.....I have been looking for a forum to speak about the exact same issue.
    1plus3kids

Answer by 1plus3kids at 11:05 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Type in drug addiction in the search field at the top of any page. You will see all kinds of conversation about it.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 8:33 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Maybe its a topic some people dont think shuld be talked about.....not saying i think that.....I'm an open book and feel that everything should be talked about and discussed....how else are we to help each other?
    HuntersMom25

Answer by HuntersMom25 at 8:03 AM on Sep. 17, 2010