My FB Status Updates..........offensive?

On Facebook, I'll often post what I'm going to be doing that day & most often it's things with my 4yo daughter...like going to the park, splash pad, zoo, children's museum, tumbling, playdate, library, etc...just whatever, but yet looking at my posts, there's no doubt that I spend a lot of time with her & we don't often sit around the house watching TV.

I've had it brought to my attention that by me doing this, I am purposefully trying to make parents who don't do this with their children look bad, that I obviously feel superior as a parent and am throwing it in everyone's faces.

The person who told me this really wasn't a friend anyway, so I deleted her and blocked her. However, in talking to another friend, I was told that it can definitely come across that way and it probably does to people who don't "understand me."

I'm stumped...how does me listing what I am doing today with my daughter have anything to do with YOU?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 10:57 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• WTH? seriously are your "friends" that petty that they feel inferior to you having fun with your kid? I have several friends who always update about their fun outings with their kids or cool jobs/activites/anything they are doing that week/day and it doesn't make me feel like a bad parent or a lazy mom cause we don't do those things! we honestly can't afford to go out and do "fun" stuff all the time but that doesn't mean i am gonna be jealous or mean to my friends that CAN afford to do all those fun things with their kids! i think whoever told u that is just being stupid. if you want to tell family and friends how much fun you're having with your daughter and going out and showing her the world then keep telling them!
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 11:02 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• It does'nt have anything to do with "me" and those people should just suck it up, and learn how to do things with their children. I spend a lot of time at home with my son, when the weather is nice, we go to the park, when it isn't, we play indoors, or watch movies together. Those are my choices. Kudos to you for taking your LO out, and playing, and having a good time with her. More parents should do that. Tell them that when they complain. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 10:59 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Somebody is jealous. LOL Just keep it up and tell them to STFU.

I had a friends once that posted about how she was a perfect Christian mother with a perfect Christian husband and the absolute most perfect Christian kids and how they were so blessed to be able to get each kid 64 presents a piece on Christmas and how the oldest got a laptop, the middle got a digital camera and the youngest got a huge power wheel and they each got a huge flat screen TV and satellite hookups in their rooms and such.

NOW THAT IS BRAGGING AND WRONG!
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:01 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• It might just depend on how you come across. It is hard for us to judge just by what you are posting.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:01 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Apparently they are jealous that you spend more time with your daughter than they spend with their own children. Don't sweat the small stuff. Just enjoy the time you are able to spend with your daughter. She will be grown-up before you know it.
    pennycandy

Answer by pennycandy at 11:02 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Well, I would tell those people to shove it where the sun don't shine. If you want to take your daughter places all the time and they feel like lesser parents then it's their problem. Don't stop doing what you're doing because of them. In fact take tons of pictures and start plastering them all over FB too lol.
    Though, Misteh has a point and it does have a safety issue which would be the only thing that would cause me to pause and consider if what I was doing was right, not what the other parents thought of it.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 11:03 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Well, perhaps if your status on fb makes me feel like a half ass parent, maybe I should do something about it rather than bringing it to your attention. Let it go, people are ignorant! Do your thing and be the best mom you can be.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:19 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I don't put what I am doing for the day on my FB because of people using it to rob houses. They can read it and see your not going to be home and help themselves. So often I just put something witty or funny about how I am feeling that day and leave it at that.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 10:59 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I wouldnt worry about what they think. Maybe if it is daily it looks like bragging...but honestly who cares. Go have fun with your dd and put what you want on fb. You arent being rude in anyway!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:01 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• There is nothing wrong with sharing what you do with your child on FB. Lots of people do that. However, maybe the people that know you better than we would might ad something to this that we don't know about. I'm NOT accusing you of anything. It's just something to think about. Have you been told you come of supierior outside of this subject? Maybe you hurt their feelings elsewhere and they are holding on to it? People are weird you know!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:05 AM on Sep. 14, 2010