What are your feelings on door-to-door evangelizing?

I have friends who are Mormon and this is a cornerstone of their faith. It is also a big thing in the LDS church. I am an Evangelical Free'er, and I don't think door-to-door evangelizing is necessary. I think it is intrusive and rude; I DO believe in evanagelization and outreach but not going to someone's home uninvited. I am sure it has its merits, occasionally, but I have always heard negative reactions from people that have this occur.

I attended an Assemblies of God church as a teen and this was a big thing too, that the youth was expected to take part in. We were all embarrassed and didn't want to and most of us abhor it to this day.

What are your feelings on having someone come to your door and try to sell you on their "line" of Christianity?

NEMommaOf3

Asked by NEMommaOf3 at 11:11 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Can't stand it
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:12 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• As long as you're respectful and leave when unwelcome I don't see the problem. If you don't like it, put up a sign or say no thank you.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 11:13 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Honestly I get a bit annoyed when it happens especially when I'm busy...and I'm too nice to not listen to what they have to say. But I do understand that some churches and organizations believe they can get their views across to people by visiting and talking with them. So I don't think it's stupid...just annoying to me.
    PerfectLove910

Answer by PerfectLove910 at 11:14 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I think it antagonizes people and that they shouldn't do it. But having said that, I respect them because they are acting on what they believe.

Answer by Bmat at 11:14 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• can't stand it either. Although, i have let them in before & had fun debates with them. They usually just leave all pissed off because they can't back up most of their claims (this happened with some Jehovah Witness that came by)

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:14 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I invite them in for something to drink, and I take the opportunity to inform them of their delusions :o) After all, they willingly entered the dragon's lair.

I find it not only obtrusive, rude, in bad taste, and generally annoying- but out right dangerous to their livelihood.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:15 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I am not intimidated by talking. I welcome it. I can disagree and still be ok with my beliefs and theirs. I am mature about it.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 11:16 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I wish they would come here more... I always enjoy the conversation & debates that come with their visits... But they are so few and far between it's not an issue in any way. My family is JW, so we grew up going door to door... Now, I'm Pagan today and this isn't a part of my beliefs, but I have a great respect for anyone who has the guts to have 500 doors a day slammed in their face looking for that ONE person that might listen... Personally, if you don't like it, post a sign and request they don't knock...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:17 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• i abhor it !!!! i am a christian and don't need anybody, of any religion, trying to peddle their religion or politics to me - i already have made up my own mind on who i am and what direction i want to take....
    kaysimon132461

Answer by kaysimon132461 at 11:17 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I HATE it!!!! I see it as others trying to 'push' their religion if I wanted to know about their religion I would  attend their church or contact them for information.  

MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:17 AM on Sep. 14, 2010