my 7 and half year old has all A 's again this year

I am so proud of her for getting all A's but how do i show her i am so happy with her grades without hurting her sister who is 9 years old feelings because she is struggling this year? I don't want to hurt either girls feelings.

sherryb1273

Asked by sherryb1273 at 11:15 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in

• Hug her and be excited over the grades she gets as well
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 11:39 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Hug her and say good grades, honey. And also hug the other and say I am proud of how you are doing. :)

Answer by Bmat at 11:18 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I had 3 siblings. Our parents gave us a dollar for every A, fifty cents for every B, 25 for every C. Nothing for a D, and we owed our parents a dollar for every F. We earned our rewards that way. I got straight As in third grade, and I made the most money out of all my siblings. It was quite a reward in itself.

BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 11:18 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• School has just started. I would offer a reward system come report card time. Offer specific things that both kids can enjoy that are family friendly to show how proud you are of both of them. Whether they are grades that you deem acceptable or not if the child tried then they should be shown that you are proud of them as well.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:19 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I wanted to add, my dad thought that by praising my good grades at the supper table that my siblings would see that he was proud of good grades and be motivated to do better. But I was mortified every time he did this, and my siblings were not impressed, more annoyed.

Answer by Bmat at 11:20 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Privately giving hugs and praise might be enough.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:26 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• let the both know how proud you are of them
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 12:31 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Please make sure you praise her and her sister both. When I was a kid, I got very good grades but my mother hardly even noticed because she was so busy yelling at my little brother for his terrible grades. I still resent it, 40 years later!
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 3:49 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• see that is what I mean Bmat i don't want to mortify her and i don't want to hurt my other daughter , she also has disabilities to and it could be a set back for her. I don't even want to mention her grades in front of the cousin who is staying here because he is just so mean and will pick on her.

sherryb1273

Comment by sherryb1273 (original poster) at 11:23 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• We just started back to school two weeks ago and because of holidays, this is our first full week of classes. However, based on previous years and my own upbringing, I think there's a really easy solution. Don't praise the grade. Praise the effort. My brother and I -- and now my children -- knew that our parents were proud of the grades we earned as long as the grade we earned was the very best we could do. As came easy to me. Not so much to my brother. But the fact that I could earn As with little effort did not negate the fact he worked his rear off earning a B in the same class his spin through. My parents always praised us for doing our best. And now, that's what we do with my children. My kids are good students. They get great grades - and they get praised not for the letter on the paper but for the work they put in to it. Praise both your girls for doing their personal best. Don't focus on what the letter is.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 9:37 PM on Sep. 14, 2010