Wonder why "special foods" are so expensive?

My children are both allergic to wheat, oatmeal, barley, etc. So all gluten free. Which is rediculous how much money it is. Even for me to make things as home made as possible it is still pricey. It makes no sense to me why you have to pay 2-3x as much for a veggie pasta or a rice bread than other products. Rice itself isn't expensive, it's not like production is that much more time consuming. I guess I don't have a question, more so a complaint that to be healthy you have to pay so much more.

2BlondeBabies

Asked by 2BlondeBabies at 11:18 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Food & Drink

• because its not mass produced
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 1:30 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• It costs more because there is a limited market for specialty items, which means it costs more to produce less of a given specialty product. However, you should look into buying your GF foods on Amazon because when you buy in bulk/by the case from them, they discount it, plus if you spend $25 or more, the shipping is free.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:22 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:36 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I keep kosher, so I know what you mean. I think the reason is basically that the market for these kinds of foods is smaller, so the costs are higher.
    I try to make most of our meals at home, buying as little as possible of processed foods, which are expensive.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 12:32 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Unless your children have been tested you don't know that they are "allergic" to these grains. Allergy requires an IgE response. They may be sensitve to these foods without being allergic. There is a big difference.

Don't buy special foods. Plan their diet around normal foods that they can have. My 24 mo grandson has multiple food allergies (tested, he has eczema) so I have been dealing with this issue. If they are on a gluten-free diet they can have cornmeal and rice. Brown rice can be used many ways. Use corn burito shells for wraps. Pop your own popcorn, it's a whole grain. They could maybe have rice cakes.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:31 AM on Sep. 14, 2010