I AM my 4 month old son's pacifier- Is this healthy, and if not, how do I stop it?

I co-sleep with my son. He wakes up some nights every hour it seems and I just give him the boob and he falls back to sleep pretty fast. I'm really tired and nursing all night long can be pretty uncomfortable. He won't take a pacifier and I don't want to stop co-sleeping. Is there anything I can do? Or do I just deal with this until I put him in his own crib?

MaMaMo531

Asked by MaMaMo531 at 9:41 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hes at the age where he should be sleeping in his own bed. Give him a bottle mixed with cereal before bed and he'll sleep a lot longer. If he cries in the middle of the night then feed him and do what you have to do and put him right back to bed. If he continues to cry then you'll just have to let him. He needs to learn how to soothe himself and its better now than at 2 :) Its the best thing i could have done for my daughter! GL
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:46 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• It's harder with BF babies to sleep through the night. fortunately my son took a pacifier. You might try offering it to him several times. It sounds like he is smart enough to figure out that if he cries, he gets the boob. You can always try switching him to the crib; you may be surprised. My son had been co-sleeping with us and I thought moving him to his bed would be horrible, but he began sleeping through the night within a couple of weeks.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 9:50 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• "Hes at the age where he should be sleeping in his own bed. Give him a bottle mixed with cereal before bed and he'll sleep a lot longer. If he cries in the middle of the night then feed him and do what you have to do and put him right back to bed. If he continues to cry then you'll just have to let him. He needs to learn how to soothe himself and its better now than at 2 :) Its the best thing i could have done for my daughter! GL"
    - YOU ARE SO WRONG!!! Cosleeping is fine and great for BF babies, never give cereal in a bottle ever, and solids don't mae a baby sleep longer. CIO is proven by studies to lower brain function and increase stress on their immune system causing low weight gain and lowered brain development! GEEZ do some research before giving advice! If you have no issues with it thenits not an issue!
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:20 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Studies have shown that giving a baby cereal does NOT help them sleep through the night. It is considered an "old wives tale". There are risks to introducing cereals or other solids before 6 months. Sleeping with your baby and allowing him to nurse as much as he likes during the night is NOT harming him, and will help him in the long run. For me it helped to have a "side car". You can buy the "co-sleeper" or what we did was take one side off the crib and shove it up against the bed. This way I could have him right next to me but he could be in his own bed some too.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:21 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• well, i think sleeping with them is fime until they are around sitting up or holding their head up, so they dont get spoiled as for the pacie thing, what i did with my son was take a baby bottle nipple and give it to them, it is shaped like a nipple, and not like a pacie, it worked for my son, tell me how it goes if you try it!
    triplethetruble

Answer by triplethetruble at 10:34 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• im all for a family to co sleep, but how much are you nursing him if its all night long? I mean is it a little or is it like a whole feeding. ? My son is three months old, and he sleeps thru the night, no bottle, but when we put him to bed, in his own bed, cause we chose not to co sleep, we did for the first few weeks, anyhow, we moved him to his bed, and he only takes the paci for about a half hour, then spits it out, and he's out for 12 hours. He gets about a half hour of nursing, and then maybe 3-4 ounces of bottle if i have some pumped so thats its a larger feed, and he will sleep and it keeps him satisfied... good luck,
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 10:51 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• i gave my baby cereal in her bottles but not by my choice, i was actually uncomfortable with it at first but she had a medical condition. i gave it in bottles and she's perfectly fine, we started her at 7 weeks. however, this had no effect on her sleeping habbits at all, she continued to sleep for 6 hr intervals at night and slowly stretched out to sleeping all night. she has always slept in her own bed for the first stretch then i use to put her in bed w/ me after that. i thought it would be a nightmare moving her to her own bed all night, but when i tried it i was surprised that she took right to it. my daughter sleeps in her bed right next to mine, you could try that, you being close could be enough that he'd be comfortable then you can slowly move him into his own room over a matter of time.....
    hihowareyou22

Answer by hihowareyou22 at 11:03 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I dont agree with co-sleeping I did that with my 1st and it was harder than heck to get him to sleep in his crib at 6 months. I would try and get your child off of the sleeping with you. It might help when he finds out the boob is not always just going to be there at night. Your son should be sleeping at least 4 hours at a time at night by now.
    kaylie_08

Answer by kaylie_08 at 11:06 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• I would try other methods of getting him back to sleep before offering your breast... especially if you think he is just pacifing.
    I would worry about too many calories due to the extra intake when he's not hungry but eating for comfort.
    Will he suck your finger at all? Or sometimes I offer my baby my knuckle (he likes that but not my finger in his mouth)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:24 AM on Oct. 17, 2008