Can you get pregnant during your period?

I got to thinking about my birth control pills. I know the last roll is just sugar pills because when you take these you are supposed to start your period. But, I got to thinking that it means I am not taking birth control during that week. Is it possible to get pregnant if you are on your period or while you are taking that roll of pills? Because I don't start my period until I am about halfway through that roll and my husband and I have had sex during that time. I just wonder if I might get pregnant while I am taking that roll of pills...

Nicollynne

Asked by Nicollynne at 1:47 PM on Jul. 1, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Yeah, you can, but it's unlikely to happen.
    noliegirl

Answer by noliegirl at 1:58 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• The BC pills are supposed to work regardless of when in your cycle you have sex as long as you take them every day during the 3 non-sugar pill weeks. You can get pregnant on birth control, although there is a very slim chance. You can also get pregnant on your period (to an extent) because sperm can survive for approximately 5 days after sex, but that is also pretty unlikely. And it depends on what day you ovulate to whether or not that would be at all possible. In any case you should be back on the "real" pills by the time ovulation comes around, which is the actual time you conceive, regardless of when you had sex.
    supershlea

Answer by supershlea at 2:02 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• you can get pregnant at any time... on your period, any time off of it, while breastfeeding, anytime! its just more likely that you will conceive during ovulation bc the egg is just right. but if you dont take your bc properly then you become more fertile.... so just keep taking them right and they will be like 98% effective
    hendrickson

Answer by hendrickson at 3:38 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• When you are on B/C there is a less likely of a chance you can get pregnant. B/C pills are designed so that they still work during the sugar pill week, that is why it takes approximately 3 months after you stop taking them that you can actually plan on getting pregnant.
    jeswill

Answer by jeswill at 3:55 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• I agree with the previous posts except for one thing. I became pregnant less than one week after stopping my birth control pills.
    Aradae

Answer by Aradae at 5:49 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• yes you can.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 1:47 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• yes you can ,i was on bc pill when my oldest was conceive and i never miss the day-so yet it is possible;-)
    alee72

Answer by alee72 at 7:37 AM on Feb. 14, 2009