If it's okay to dress up as a Native American, is it okay to dress up as a Mexican, a Black person, Or an Asian, or Middle Eastern person as long as it's Halloween?

Would it be okay to dress up my children as other races? It's acceptable to dress up as an Indian, why not? Are we respecting the other culture? Is it just acceptable to dress up as an Indian for "fun" because it's been going on for so many years? COwboys and Indians was kids play portraying Indians as villains. Part of our culture? Please consider the link before posting. Some people really do feel this way. Read especially the part about Pochahontas.

http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2009/10/29/racist-halloween-costumes/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think you should have posted this as your own self and not anon. And I think yes it is OK. My daghter wanted to be a voodoo priestess last year for a parade they had in school and no one looked down on it.
    I think you're looking to much into something. Which is how problems start.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 11:31 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I think it's fine.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:33 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Unless you are going for a specific person of whatever race, then I think it is in extremely poor taste. For instance you want to go as Obama - sure, go for it. You want to go as a random black guy - bad.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:34 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Yes we do dress as other cultures- ninjas, belly dancers, celtic costumes, luau outfits, gypsies, geishas, and greek gods or godesses.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 11:34 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I like Christina's answer.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:36 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• i think the writers of that link have a point but i don't think its destroying our society or anything... if anything maybe its nice to joke about all the sterotypes instead of Believing those sterotypes and becoming a racist, kwim? the Mexican ones kinda made me laugh (and I AM Hispanic) :P
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 11:37 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• LOL....I don't know. WHat te heck--its Haloween. :-)
    I remember a long time a go my DH and I dressed up as RedNecks/Hillbillies....we put black wax on a few of our teeth to make it look like we were missing teeth, and wore denim overalls and carried a stick with a sack tied onto it, an empty whiskey bottle, and bare feet.....and at that time,we were living in a small NC town. We came out with our lives and our health intact,though. Hehe.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:40 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I think accusing me of looking too much into something is a lame excuse to not examine things a little further and just dismiss it. God forbid you consider it for a hot second. I can post anon if I want. :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:40 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• It's halloween and it's all in good fun. I was an indian, my sister was a geisha as kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I personally think that if it is done in a good way why not.... If they are trying to portray other races as less than or stupis or other degrading things then no. My son was a native american for his first halloween, but then again he is part native american but you can't tell by looking at us
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 12:39 PM on Sep. 14, 2010