Does it actually matter to you what someone else believes in?

I see so many fights, and so much name-calling because of religion. And before anyone points out a specific group that does it, they ALL do it. Christians, Atheists, Pagans...I have seen it from every single group at some point or another. If you're so firm and happy in your beliefs, WHY do you have to try to insult the way those who are different from you believe? What do you get out of it? Do you feel threatened by them, therefore you have to get defensive? If someone tries to press their religion (or lack of it) on you, can't you simply say, "Thank you, but I'm happy with what I already believe"? WHY the insults and judgment? Is it secretly hate? Or disgust? What is it, because I don't understand.

I know this does not apply to all of you. When I say that all religions do it, I mean that certain people of all of them do this. It's always a huge battle, and lately, I've seen more hypocrisy than ever.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 11:31 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Religious Debate

• My problem comes not from what others believe but rather when they make false insinuations about my beliefs or why I believe (or don't believe). For example when someone says that atheists don't want to be held acountable for their actions so they choose not to believe in god. Uh NO.
    However there are militants on all sides in all religions and on all spectrums who give everyone a bad name, just please dont' paint me with the same brush. I'm sure I've had my moments and gotten into a spar or two with others over beliefs but so has everyone else..
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:41 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• "But my role as a Christian is to share God's love with others. If other people decide they don't want what God gives then that is their choice"

But it isn't what "god" is giving them...its what you are TRYING to force upon them. IF you trust in your god, then why not allow him to enter others lives at his will, not yours? You want others to buy what you are selling, instead of allowing something to happen that could happen on it's own, naturally-as most spiritual paths so often do.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 2:17 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Does not matter to me in the least what someone else believes. To each his own.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:32 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Nope. You beliefs or lack of really have no bearing on me, my beliefs and what I choose to teach my children.

The great thing about America is that we are all allowed to believe or no believe in our own ways.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 11:32 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I believe that I can do all things throught Christ who strengthens me.
    This is my choice and I don't try to make others believe it too, but I do
    encourage to believe it.
    JOCKEYP2PMOM

Answer by JOCKEYP2PMOM at 11:37 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I'm fine with people choosing their own path, until the try to erect a blockade in front of mine. Or worse, until they say or do things to my children which are both damaging, and cause physical harm. If people could use the basic logic they are equipped with to discern right from wrong, without relying on a book to tell them to do so, the world would be a much safer place.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:41 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• To be quite honest I really could care less what other people's beliefs/religions are. The only time I get a bit ticked is if they try to push their religion off on me or they do not respect my right to have my own religion.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:48 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Still...unless it's someone you actually care about, what business is it of yours? Why do you CARE if they follow blindly? Everyone believes their beliefs to be the truth, or why else would they believe in them? What you may consider "blindly" could very well be the opposite of what someone else considers it to be.

Because I am all for education. I am for people actually learning. If we do not learn then we cannot progress. And yes, even religion has to progress at some point. Look at how much the Church has progressed in the past 100 years alone. Basically, I am for learning the history of your religion because I honestly believe if you are going to believe in it you should know about it. It helps to keep misconceptions and misinformation from spreading, which is like a virus to society.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:00 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• No, it doesn't matter until they go trying to make laws based on their religion. People can worship rocks for all I care, so long as they aren't crossing into anyone else's lives as they do it.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:22 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I don't care what anyone else believes. I do care what they try to force on someone else or when they misrepresent what someone else believes.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:39 PM on Sep. 14, 2010