How do you decide to go to college or get a job?

Been talking to a friend and we were talking about college to get better paying jobs vs just getting a job and working your way up. How do you decide what is right for you?? Anyone at the cross road?

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 11:35 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Money & Work

• My husband was going to school and had a job. He later quit school because he had worked his way up in 3 years much faster than he would have ever been able to after he got his degree. He already had better pay and insurance he would have had to wait a year for if he started over in another career.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 11:41 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• What kind of job or career do you want to have? What are you passionate about that would be a fulfilling job? Once you answer that then what kind of education or experience do you need for that job? Some jobs/careers can be developed through on the job training experience....basically starting from the bottom. Others need education. Think about what you are really passionate about and how you can turn that passion in to a rewarding position. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:16 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• You might be able to do both. Work part time and go to school part time. Check with your school to see if you qualify for financial aid.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:30 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• IT was an easy decision. I wanted to teach and I can't do that BA and MA.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 12:42 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I got a job at a hospital (to get my foot in the door) I am looking into taking nursing classes ( RN) and the hospital that I work for will give you $$$ was the course is passed.
    So for me it was job first then education. it really depends on you and your $$ situation
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 1:03 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I think you just have to do what's right for you and your family. I also thinki it depends on what type of job you're working. I've been working a retail job for 2 years and recently quit and am going to only do school full time. i was a supervisor and making decent pay and even if I ended up with my own store I wouldn't be happy with it, thoe hours suck and the pay is pretty decent and benefits are good but it's not what I want to do for the rest of my life.
    bellybeans_mom

Answer by bellybeans_mom at 1:14 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I was raised to believe that college was the only option, so my only choices were which major and which university.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 1:32 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Get a job that pays for college
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 4:09 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I worked full time and went to school full time for both my undergraduate and graduate degrees. However, now that I know better, I would have gone to a better school because in my profession where you got your degree from counts as much as just having the degree.
    Maureenmich

Answer by Maureenmich at 9:18 PM on Sep. 14, 2010