Should our Government be spending money on this during a recession? Anytime?

Articles like this show just how many billions of dollars could be trimmed from our budget to bring the deficit down. Things like international projects should be at the bottom of the list right now. Why is the government using our tax dollars to repair and beautify mosques around the world? Do they do anything like this for American churches(I hope not)

Link text

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 11:36 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Im still pissed about the damn SODA'S and WATERS we pay for...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:38 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I don't think we should be spending money on anything but the basics right now. I am just a psycho conservative so what do I know.lol Curious to see what others have to say about this.
    tabekat

Answer by tabekat at 11:39 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I think you're right tabekat, and government has gotten way out of hand
    cmlkb

Answer by cmlkb at 11:42 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• No, IMO, they government should be cutting back spending just like a regular household or business should when they have no money. They certainly shouldn't be even considering taking a pay raise.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:43 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• It does not bother me at all..
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 11:44 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Government should be cutting back. This is the PERFECT time to 'go through the budget with a fine tooth comb"... Analyze every department for waste and lean out programs for maximum efficiency.... Not GROWING the the size of the Federal Governmnet... And certainly NOT doing it by borrowing money from the likes of China, India, etc...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:53 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• said. “It is not to preserve a religion. It is to help us as global inhabitants preserve cultures.”

In a document provided on Monday to Indiana Republican Sen. Richard G. Lugar, ranking member of the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations, the State Department explained that the practice of funding such projects became acceptable in 2003 when the Justice Department declared that the U.S. Constitution’s Establishment Clause did not preclude federal funds from going to preserve religious structures if they had cultural importance.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2010/08/24/u-s-government-funds-mosque-renovation-and-rehabilitation-around-the-world/#ixzz0zWHwC3vb
    ************************************************
    I copied this paragraph in the article to show that this has been happening for several years and Rep. Senator Lugar explains why they are doing it.
    I can't say and we can't say if it is a good or not.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:55 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• In a document provided on Monday to Indiana Republican Sen. Richard G. Lugar, ranking member of the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations, the State Department explained that the practice of funding such projects became acceptable in 2003 when the Justice Department declared that the U.S. Constitution’s Establishment Clause did not preclude federal funds from going to preserve religious structures if they had cultural importance.

Thanks for the perspective

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:02 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I have no problem with cultural preservation, I think it's a worthy cause. I do think if it's done for diplomacy as well that it should be better publicized.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 12:03 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I thought it would be a good thing to point out that this is nothing new.....we cited the date of 2003......so that nobody can claim that it is all Obama's fault. Hehe. I bet that is why the question (and objecting to the Government spending) was posted here. :-)
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:11 PM on Sep. 14, 2010