Plz Help!!!!

My son is 8 months old.. Everybody is telling me take him to the dr's to get a flu shot.. Me & my son is always around children and hes been getting sick alot lately.. I called his dr's office and they told me that they reccomend starting the flu shot at 6 months.. I just dont know what to do... I'm scared of doing the wrong thing!!!

airmom04

Asked by airmom04 at 9:54 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my daughter had one around that age and she was fine. There is really nothing to worry about. I recommend it just because of how bad the flu has been and how many babies have not been able to fight it. Its your personal preferance. I also know many moms who didnt get one for their kids and they were fine too :) GL
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:59 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• The flu can be deadly to infants and the elderly and the immunosuprressed. I got mine yesterday because I am on loads of immunouppresents. I personally have not given my chilren flu shots but if my doctor truly reccomended it I might have. Both my boys were totally fine and have yet to really catch a bad flu. If your baby is around a lot of people and other children especially in a day care setting I would definitely get the shot. Mine stayed home with me which is why I opted not to.
    cougarkristi

Answer by cougarkristi at 10:20 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• One thing to be careful of is allergies. Flu shots are made with egg byproducts and you probably haven't given your baby egg yet to know if he is allergic. It turns out, my son is allergic to eggs and luckily, he had an ear infection when we were supposed to do his 12 month check up and that's when he would have had the shot. But I gave him eggs after that to discover the allergy. Just something to ask you doctor about and to take into consideration. If not for the allergy, I probably would have given my little guy the shot, though.
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 10:29 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• They dont test flu shots they make them and give them to people. My son will not be getting a flu shot. He has had no shots and he is 6 months. There is a web site called http://www.novaccine.com/vaccine-ingredients/ They tell you every thing you need to know. God bless
    MommyTessier

Answer by MommyTessier at 10:36 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• They do test shots... but if you want to get the correct information about things go to webmd.com. Its a site that was created by docs if you havent heard about it yet. I am going to get my son a flu shot most likely, mainly because we will be going out of state for thanksgiving and i dont know who will be sick with what on the plane. I also dont want to see him suffer and get put in the hospital because of something like the flu. Its your personal choice on if you want your child to have the shot or not, talk to your SO or other family memebers if you have doubts about your opinion.
    LadyUsagi

Answer by LadyUsagi at 11:20 PM on Oct. 16, 2008