What is this "troll"?

I heard this term a lot when I first joined cafemom in '07. But then it referenced a person who joined a group under false pretenses so they could either 1) stir up trouble and, i suppose, have fun making people mad or 2) linger in the background, collect info on what people are saying in a private group, and then spread gathered info in journal posts or in other private groups to be mocked and picked apart.
So since Answers is an open forum where anyone and everyone can join in and discuss, how can someone be a troll? Does a "troll" have to make up an imaginary profile, or post anonymously just to play the "devil's advocate'?

I don't understand the role of a troll in the Answers section OR why I keep seeing people call other posters a troll because they have a differing view.

Laura2U

Asked by Laura2U at 11:40 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in About CafeMom

• I have tried to figure it out, but left it alone.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 11:42 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I haven't seen anyone called a troll.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 11:43 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I've only seen the term used when people can tell the poster is a fake.. Trolls post some crazy things! I haven't seen anyone called a troll because they have a different opinion though. If somebody did that, they probably don't know what it even is.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:44 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• A troll is really just someone who LIVES for the drama here. Has no life and is bored so they create crazy posts under 1 account name, and then fan the flames under a different name
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 11:44 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I can't stand that. People can believe very different things. I find it moronic, self centered to just scream troll because you find it so far fetched that a real person couldn't possibly feel the way they feel, believe what they believe. I don't think they are starting trouble, I see it as challenging our everyday thought processes.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:44 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion

In this section however it becomes more of a term for when opposite sides of very strong opinions disagree with one another. It gets thrown around an awful lot and is not always because people are being trolls but because they aren't as skilled or dimplomatic in expressing their differences of opinion.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:44 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• IMO, a troll is someone who knows how to push buttons to get arguements and dissention started. They make posts and comments just to inflame others. They are not necessarily differing opinions, just attacking opinions.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:45 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• It is meaning stirring up trouble or asking questions for no real reason. One person refers to me as this no matter what I ask or answer. Even if it is harmless and good. That person really got pissed at me a while back over some thing really dumb and has been saying it ever since.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 11:46 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• But how can we really tell for sure if they are just trying to get people going or if it's true? I don't call troll ever. Just because I figure if you can think it, it could happen. And also, who cares if it's fake. Does it hurt anything?
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:48 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• @ hot~ You know how I feel about my 'fan club" *shudder*... Been there, done that. Hate it for ya.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:48 AM on Sep. 14, 2010