How Old?

I have twin boys who are almost 6 months old. How long do you think we should wait before going about adopting a dog? We plan on adopting a grown dog, rather than a puppy. Thank you.

mama10johnsons

Asked by mama10johnsons at 11:46 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Pets

• If you find a dog that is good with children and I mean little children and has a very laid back personality then I would go for it. Otherwise I would wait until you can find a dog with those qualities. We have had pets since before my LO was born and she has been shown how to walk slowly towards them as well as how to touch them gently and nicely. It takes a lot of work to show the children how to be respectful of the pet. I DD knows that when the pet walks away they are done and she is not to follow them. I wish you luck and enjoy your new pet.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:12 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I would WAIT! If your adopting a grown dog you wont know how it is around children. With your babies being too young to understand not to tug on the dogs ears could be a hazard and they could be bitten.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 11:47 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• They all say households that have kids under 8 should not have a pet. What state do u live in?? message me.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:47 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• If you adopt a dog that is good with kids, I don't think you need to wait any longer than it takes for you to adjust to the extra work a dog takes.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 11:47 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I'd wait until the kids were walking but that's just me. I take care of a baby in a home with a dog and the baby is constantly trying to get into the dog's food and water, is covered with dog hair after crawling around, plus finds hair clumps on the floor and tries to eat them. Once he's walking a lot of these problems might go away.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:57 AM on Sep. 14, 2010