When age will you put your child in pre-school?

I am stuck on when and whether I should put my son into preschool. The daycare provider I send him to says she can go over his alphabet w/ him and numbers get him to spell his name but she is very busy w/ the other kids she takes care of and I do not want to leave it up to her discretion to educate my child. More and more I am leaning towards enrolling him into pre-school. What age should I enroll him? He will be 3 yrs old this December.

PatricksMama07

Asked by PatricksMama07 at 11:48 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Both my girls started at 3
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:49 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Im not putting my son in Preschool. I can teach him myself.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 11:49 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Mostly people start school young for the social interaction. It seems your son still gets that. I would say 3 would be a good age.
    SUSAN81900

Answer by SUSAN81900 at 11:50 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• my son went to headstart at age 3 and in preschool now he is 4
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 11:52 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• both our boys went when they were three
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:52 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My son started at 3. My girls went to a preschool/daycare at 2.
    missmarla1

Answer by missmarla1 at 11:54 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My 2nd and 3rd started at 2 (two 1/2 days/week, three 1/2 days at 3, five 1/2 days at 4). I am planning on my 4th and 5th following the same schedule starting at 2. I didn't do it so much for the education (although they did teach them), but both of them met some great little friends for us to have playdates with - it just widened our circle of friends.

Answer by missanc at 11:55 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My children have all started at 3.
    mama10johnsons

Answer by mama10johnsons at 11:56 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I never put my kids in preschool. They still learned there alphabet, numbers, writing their names when they went to kindergarten. KIds also learn some of this by watching television and playing games. And usually by the time they get to kindergarten they have mastered a lot of what they need for Kindergarten. It was a little more difficult for my daughter than my son. He was a quicker learner.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 11:56 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• NEVER. Kids do not need pre-school. They are not developmentally ready to be in group experiences. They are at high risk of getting sick. They do not need to learn anything when they are 3 or 4. If you send him to school you can teach him what the school expects 6 months before he goes. Often kids learn on their own. One of my sons was reading at 4 without being taught. It's best if they do learn on their own.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:57 AM on Sep. 14, 2010