Why do people make such a big deal out of age?

My SO is 34 and I'm 22, and the age difference doesn't bother us at all...I like being with an older man, my son's father is 25 and was SOOO immature and filled with drama...since i've been dating my SO there has been NO drama, but some people still have a problem with the age difference...when you're out of high school does it really matter how old you are?

BradensMom1026

Asked by BradensMom1026 at 11:49 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Relationships

• Typically when people show offense to an older man dating a younger women its a paternal thing. A mom or dad doesn't want to see their daughter dating an older guy. However, past the age of 18, there really isn't much anyone can do or say about the matter. At 22, you are a grown woman! It may just be envy on their part. They don't feel that they themselves would have been able to attract an older man or a younger woman so they are feeling "left-out" and use negatively as their way of coping. Age shouldn't matter at this point, it should be about the feelings and happiness you share. If others can't be happy for you, be happy without them!
    MzZiXiu4U

Answer by MzZiXiu4U at 11:56 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I think once you hit your 20's it doesn't really matter. It's silly that people make a big deal out of it
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:50 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• It's nobody's business, and I'd tell em so.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 11:51 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• It shouldn't. Guys take a lot longer to mature don't they? I think age shouldn't matter, maturity and personality should.
    jolee0222

Answer by jolee0222 at 11:51 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• The age isn't the issue for me. It is the maturity level. My son's father is 6 years younger than I am, but he is mature for his age. I've dated older men who were whiney babies. It depends on the individual person. I have had plenty of snide remarks made about our age difference, but I just ignore them.
    missmarla1

Answer by missmarla1 at 11:52 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Well to a point. If it's two consenting adults I guess have at it. BUT I was in a relationship with a man older than me and priorities for him were much different than mine. When I wanted to hang with friends, he wanted to stay home. He had already experienced everything I had already been through and I did it alone. It didn't work out. I prefer to be with someone who is going through the same things I am around the same time. But that's just me.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:53 AM on Sep. 14, 2010