Teeth brushing, Gagging

So I'm in my 1st trimester and brushing my teeth is making me gag. If you've experienced this before, does changing the flavor of your tooth paste help? I have a feeling its just the act of putting something in my mouth. But thought maybe changing flavors might help too.

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 11:50 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Been there done that! It doesn't really help to change the flavor of your toothpaste. I would brush my teeth, puke and then use mouth wash. This went on for my entire pregnancy. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:03 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I had this same problem at the beginning of pregnancy. It isnt so bad now later in pregnancy so it could get better for you but I still do have times were I gag. But yeah changing the flavor didnt help. Just try not to put it so far in your mouth. I know that sounds bad and you want to get your tongue but that is what I had to do for awhile and I used mouthwash also!!
    confusedgirl919

Answer by confusedgirl919 at 1:13 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I am 8 months and I definalty still have this problem. It is not fun, but I have found that if i brush my teeth before I eat and my stomach is empty it is a little better. I then use mouthwash after breakfast to help freshen up. It is just one of thoes joys we get to expirence! Sorry I can't be of more help!
    ErinT

Answer by ErinT at 1:17 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• LOL, I remember this. STill do every morning. Changing flavor didn't help me. It was all about my toothbrush. Even the thought of putting it in my mouth made me gag. 3 years later, it still can make me gag sometimes.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:53 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I have an extremely sensitive gag reflex..if someone else gags I gag, yesterday my 3 yr old was slurping her soup and I gagged..pregnancy did the same thing..the only thing that helped was I put a smaller than pea sized dot of toothpaste on the toothbrush...im not pregnant now and it still makes me gag
    sassygoddess

Answer by sassygoddess at 12:32 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• No, nothing will really help. The good thing is it will go away on its own when your morning sickness stops.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:59 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I am 19 weeks and i do this something horrible everyday! GRRRR
    cparra74

Answer by cparra74 at 4:24 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I had the same problem. I got a new vibrating toothbrush and some bubblegum toothpaste (anything is better than NOT brushing!) It's seemed to help a lot! Now I only gag on occasion.
    VWChris

Answer by VWChris at 8:13 PM on Sep. 14, 2010