What to charge for 2 kids babysitting

I have this girl I use to babysit when I was 13. She now has 2 kids sons. She needs a babysitter not sure of the times yet, but I think it is monday through friday 8 hours. What should I charge? I would probably provide snacks and lunch not sure about dinner. My girls are 5 and 2.5 and her sons are both like a year from eachother I think they are 1 and 2 or 2 and 3. I haven't talked to her in a while, but she says she pays 50.00 aday right now to her sitter so is looking for a new sitter. She says it averages to 250 a week. She is a single mom. I want to help her, but don't want taken advantage of either. She says she can do 125.00 a week should I take it or lower it some? She says she is having a hardtime paying bills because she pays so much in babysitting. I am ASAHM so I want her to pay me something.

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 11:52 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Money & Work

• I took care of a friends 2 girls although they were a little older but I had them over night. She was a single mom so she had a hard time as well so i only charged 100 a week. And i had them 4-5 days a week depending on when she worked. I provided dinner and breakfeast for the both of them pluss an after school snack sometimes. I would tell her that you would take the 125 and if she is still having a hard time with that then lower it to 100. This way you get a little cash and she gets a little of a break with the cost of childcare.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:59 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Find out what the going rate is in your area and then cut her a break because you know her.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:26 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I would talk to her and see what she can afford. If it is $125 a week then go with it. If you start watching the kids and they are really easy to handle and well behaved and you want to lower it then lower it. I just go with the flow and $125 a week for 2 kids is more than reasonable.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:55 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• 125 for two is a lil low in my area, its up to you if ur ok with it, the daycare here is 6 an hr for both my kids so i try to only work when i have to, can she get daycare assistance from the state they will help alot if not pay for all of the expences
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 11:56 AM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I'm in Oklahoma and $130 a week is what I charge...per child. It sounds like she is wanting to pay a fair price, but that also depends on where you are. If you are planning on doing this for awhile...I would have a contract written up to protect yourself, as well as her.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 12:04 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I pay 25$ a day for my kids. I pay my sitter anywhere from 125-175 every payday
    BellaBear

Answer by BellaBear at 12:04 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• You could look at www.care.com and www.sittercity.com to see what childcare providers charge in your area. Search by zipcode and you will see hourly rates. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:07 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I would say that $125 is a good amount.......I used to pay my sitter $100 a week for both of my kids and she had them for 9 hours a day, she was a friend of mine so she did not charge near the amt that most sitters in my area did.
    mama2005

Answer by mama2005 at 12:43 PM on Sep. 14, 2010