You shall know them by their fruits?

What does the above phrase mean to you? Not as a bibical reference, not in context in Mathew, but as an idea that stands alone.

isabellalecour

Asked by isabellalecour at 11:58 AM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Religious Debate

• aside from the Biblical reference (which is very hard for me to do because this is a Biblical priniciple) I think of the phrase "if it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck..it's a duck. (or atleast it should be LOL!) If someone claims to hold to a certain belief or group, but continually does things that are contrary to the belief system of that group than chances are they don't' really belong to that group. You have a good idea about what someone believes or who they really are by what they do. That is the only thing I can think of regarding this phrase (apart from what it means in Scripture)
    missionarywifey

Answer by missionarywifey at 1:25 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Well to me it means that are actions define us. You cant do bad things and be a good person and the other way around.
    Taty2010

Answer by Taty2010 at 12:01 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Very simply "Actions speak louder than words".
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:04 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I don't take it as having anything to do with parents & their children.

I believe it means that 'You shall know them" - meaning those person who are truly God's apostles and disciples,
    "by their fruits" - meaning by the good things that come from them. Their good works, kind words, right treatment of other people, the way they influence other people's lives for the better and help to spread God's word and way of life.
    ahhmericanwoman

Answer by ahhmericanwoman at 12:21 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• This is Jesus describing the difference in false religion and true worship.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 12:04 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• i see it 2 ways. that parents need to raise their children so that they are honored by their behavior. and that people are known by their behavior, by what they show others.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:12 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• "they will know you are mine by your love" That those who are truly worth following/listening to or "get it" are those who exhibit positive qualities, such as humility, graciousness, compassion, kindness - qualities that we believe were characteristic of Christ (and almost any other religious figure).
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:21 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Personally it reminds me that if I am claiming to be something.. THAT I MUST REPRESENT MYSELF.. AND MY FAITH OR CONVICTION IN A MANNER WHICH IS ENTICING AND APPEALING TO OTHERS.. OR ELSE I WILL BE LIKE A CURSE TO MY FAITH OR CONVICTION AS A WHOLE!
    MAKEMYDAY101

Answer by MAKEMYDAY101 at 1:13 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• It means you know some one by what they produce. The kind of person they are the things they do. What they give vs what they take. Note this is only defining the line you used and not the whole verse.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 11:07 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I think it's similar to the idea that children are a reflection of their parents.
    arouthier

Answer by arouthier at 12:01 PM on Sep. 14, 2010