Do you bake a birthday cake or buy one for that special day?

I usually bake a cake for that special birthday. Chocolate and devils food are what is mostly asked for with rich chocolate icing on top. However, I personally prefer an ice cream cake from a Carvel or something.

CafeMochaMom1

Asked by CafeMochaMom1 at 12:09 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Food & Drink

• For my DH, Mom, SIster etc I bake a cake! For the little one I will buy a special one. Until he is a certain age. THats what my Mom did for me. :D
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 12:10 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Depends on time, and where we are celebrating.

If we are having it out, I order a cake from BJ's or Cosco my favorite... :) 25 for a sheet umm umm good cream cheese icing-not too sweet...

If it is at home and I have time for the kids, I make it... My kids love mommy baking rather then buying. :)
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:11 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• We always bake ours. I LOVE cake decorating... have made some really interesting ones over the years :)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:11 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I like to bake and frost my own cakes. Peanut butter frosting is what i use for my DH .
    Airforce3mom

Answer by Airforce3mom at 12:11 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I always try to bake one - the birthday person gets to pick their favorite flavors. I've done everything from a chocolate cherry angel food to box cake in a Thomas the Tank Engine mold.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 12:13 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I bake cup cakes and sometimes a cake
    Becnfamily

Answer by Becnfamily at 12:18 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• For my kids I like to buy one because the bakery can do so much better with the decorations than I can. For my DH, if it's in the budget I buy a cake. He really does not care about decorations, he just loves to have a cake, but I like to make birthdays as special as I can.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:18 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• We do both it depends on what mood i'm in lol or what the person likes..
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 12:19 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• it depends...I sometimes bake them myself, sometimes I have them made for me and I just decorate them myself. It really depends on my time factor, whose b-day it is and the theme of the party
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 12:20 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• My sister took some cake decorating classes, so she bakes all the cakes for the birthdays and special occasions. She give them the cake of their choice instead of a gift. The kids all LOVE that they get to pick their own cake. Last year she made my son shark cupcakes and they were totally cool!
    They looked like these...
    Shark Cupcakes Pictures, Images and Photos
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:24 PM on Sep. 14, 2010