gas please help

my daughter is 2 weeks old and has horrible gas her tummy is so tight it feels like a rock. all she has done for the past 6 hours is scream at the top of her lungs i dot know how much more i can handle i am about to start crying myself. she is to give any meds to and i dont want to do that with out talking to her doctor anyways . if you moms know any way i can get her to feel better please let me know i am at wits end.

J_L_Fshr

Asked by J_L_Fshr at 10:11 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try gently pushing her knees up to her chest, this helps them pass gas and may help her.
    good luck!
    jluvskija

Answer by jluvskija at 10:13 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• If she is breastfed go to: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/oversupply.html
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:15 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• My daughter did well with tummy massages. gently squeeze the lower tummy. Oh and mylacon drops help too. It turns the little poots into big ones so they get rid of the gas faster and better.
    Blessedmommy215

Answer by Blessedmommy215 at 10:16 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• try a warm bath, it can help the baby relax and also the warmth can help the gas to expand and be expelled...I know you said you didn't want to use medicine but Mylicon is completely safe for infants and really works wonders. Try it!!
    cougarkristi

Answer by cougarkristi at 10:17 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• You can get Milicon at the drugstore. I gave my little one some when he was very young, it is safe. Also, like the above post said, push her knees up against her chest and make it like she is peddeling a bike. It helps move the gas through. Also, if you have a swing, you can try that, or bouncing, whether you do it or put her in a bouncy seat. I know its hard to hear them cry. Good luck!
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 10:20 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• Try holding her across your arms, face down (like a football) and walk around gently bouncing her. ~~ If all else fails, and you are at your wits end, it's not mean of you to put her in her crib and let her cry awhile, while you go outside and take a couple of deep, deep breaths!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 10:20 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• It won't help now, but you might want to change formula (if she is FF). I also agree with trying Mylicon. The warm bath, tummy massage, and knees to chest can help (but she may scream more while they are being done until the gas starts to pass.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:36 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• don't know if you have ever heard of this or even tried it but it is called Gripe Water and it is all organic. They mainly only have it at pharmacies or nutrition stores. it costs about $7-$10 dollars. It worked miracles for my son when he had colic and gas problems. hope this helps. if you would like more info about it just send me an im on yahoo im my screen name is jayden120507
    jaydensmom1205

Answer by jaydensmom1205 at 10:43 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• 1. congrats on the new baby. 2, did the nurses teach you the frog position... put your dd on her tummy and crunch her legs up underneath her, so her butt is in the air, that will help.. 3. even though this is a pooping technique it works for gas.. rectal thermometer with some vaseline, for about a minute, this causes the muscles to contract and hence help her to fart. Mylicon drops help, but basically turns big bubbles into smaller ones. But it doesnt help get rid of the gas.
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 10:46 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I would recommend Mylicon drops but definitely push her legs towards her chest. I do this almost everyday for my son (8 weeks) to help him pass gas and poop.
    TavsMami

Answer by TavsMami at 11:09 PM on Oct. 16, 2008