Is it strep throat or sinus drainage?

My 4 year old has been saying that her throat hurts and she woke up with a temp of 101.5 in the middle of the night. It is down to 100 & 99 today. She doesn't really have any other symptoms except her nose is just a tiny bit stuffy. I don't want to take her to the Dr. & it just be sinus drainage. Everytime I take her to the Dr. she ends up with something else. She is eating & drinking okay!

saysmom

Asked by saysmom at 12:21 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Hmmmmm... sinus it sounds like. But if the fever comes back, that would be a good time to take her in, incase it is something more.
    Airforce3mom

Answer by Airforce3mom at 12:23 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• The only way to know is to see a doctor. Even if it's sinus drainage if it's causing a temp it could be a sinus infection. Take here to the doctor
    DisabledVet

Answer by DisabledVet at 2:55 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Id still take her to the Dr.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 3:21 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Can you see white spots in her throat? That would be strep. A fever is the sign of an infection, though. It could stil be a sinus infection even if there aren't white spots. I'd take her to the doc.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 8:04 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Sore throat and fever doesn't mean it's strep. Try giving her a tsp of honey to ease her throat and lots of fluids.
    weeblette

Answer by weeblette at 6:40 AM on Sep. 16, 2010

• If you even suspect strep take her in. I have a daughter with rheumatic heart disease now because I missed a strep infection and subsequent rheumatic fever. My daughter doesn't present with normal symptoms, often doesn't even run a fever more than a few hours. Missed a case a few months ago because she felt bad for only a day and no sore throat. Caught it when her joints started aching.
    joyful_mama

Answer by joyful_mama at 2:10 PM on Sep. 17, 2010

• why not take her in if you are worried?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:17 AM on Sep. 18, 2010