If you would die without an organ transplant, would you accept one from a Chinese prisoner who was executed? Touchy Subject. Just letting you know ahead of time. adult content

I saw this article ..OMG. So people go to China for organs. Yes, it's illeagal, but it's still done.They come from executed prisoners. They execute prisoners for something as little as stealing candy from a store, or not believing what others believe. After they are killed their organs are harvested by the doctors who are standing by! A man from the US had no clue this is where is liver came from until after the procedure. So the question is, if you would die if you couldn't get a transplant in time, would you do it? I don't think I could! I'm so happy to be in the US right now.
http://factsanddetails.com/china.php?itemid=298&catid=8&subcatid=50

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 12:22 PM on Sep. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Though it's obviously wrong, it hard to say what you would really do put it that situation.....
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:28 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Sure, why not. I have never understood why someone would care where their organ came from... I mean, if a child needs an organ, you don't turn it down just because that means another child died. If an organ is available, it's available... Not accepting it doesn't help the prisoner, he's already dead. And it doesn't help you, cause you're next to die...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:28 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• I think when you're lying in the hospital, about to die unless you get an organ transplant, and the doctors tell you they found a suitable organ and can perform the surgery, you thank God, or your lucky stars, and they generally don't tell you anything about the person whose organ you are receiving. All you really know is that the person obviously just died.

Any caring human would agree that what China is doing is wrong, but then, China has long been known for its human rights violations. They've been murdering baby girls for years simply because they're not boys, and the government only allows you one child.

While I think it would be wrong to go to China and wait for a suitable donor organ from someone who is being executed, the simple fact is, China is going to continue executing people whether the organs are harvested or not. Protesting the fact that the organ was obtained that way isn't going to stop the executions.
    ahhmericanwoman

Answer by ahhmericanwoman at 12:37 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• The need for survival is too strong. I have had family members in situations where they needed transplants and it comes down to my asking, Is the organ in well enough condition? Is the blood clean? When you are faced with the decision I doubt you would deny your loved one another chance at life if they could easily be saved. Political correctness didn't even enter my thoughts.
    Ciela372

Answer by Ciela372 at 12:56 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• No, I wouldn't. I wouldn't hold it against anyone who made a different decision, though.
    science_spot

Answer by science_spot at 12:24 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• This whole article just made my head spin! Wow! Made me sad too.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 12:28 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• If one wasnt available here in the United States and I needed it to survive and take care of my family, yes I would take it. Like another mom said, I can't help the prisoner because he is dead. Taking a stand against China's prison practices is commendable but I think there would be a better way of handling that.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 12:34 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• But Sabrina, there is more to it. They are trying to change human rights for people in China, including their death penalty laws. As long as people continue to do that because it's profitable, they are encouraging it to continue. They have kids and familys too. What if this were happening here? What if the prisoner was your brother or father? I'm not trying to argue, honest. THis stuff just makes my wheels turn. I'm in a political sort of mood this morning!
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 12:34 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• Yes and no. I would never do an illegal procedure. Nut if done legally, ethically, then I really don't care if the donor was an ax murderer. As long as a donor gave concentrate and was not coersed or forced to be a donor....yes I would. On the illegal side of things, besides being a human rights violation, I would worry about the safety of the procedure itself. If you are willing to cut corners and sell organs from unwilling donors then I would venture to say you are not to keen on other expensive safety issues. Just my thought.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:39 PM on Sep. 14, 2010

• But the organs were taken without the person's consent. There is something un nerving about that to me.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 12:41 PM on Sep. 14, 2010