I'm looking for birthing tips.

Anyone whose had a kid, any words of wisdom when it comes to the brith? Please share with me anything you feel might work for the carzy event that is childbirth.

norma_lee

Asked by norma_lee at 10:16 PM on Oct. 16, 2008 in Pregnancy

• It's hard to give advice on this... decide now if you want to use pain meds though. I was in labor for 38 hrs and then had an emergency c-section. That wasn't planned! haha I hope all goes well for you, just have a good support system and you can get through anything
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 10:19 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• My best avice is to take a brithing class so you know what to expect. Come up with a birthing plan so you know if you want pain meds and if so what type. Be prepared for anything I pushed for 4 hours just to have a c-section the first time....the second was a scheduled c-section and was much easier. Good luck and congrats!!!
    cougarkristi

Answer by cougarkristi at 10:23 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• My main advice is to be flexible. It is fine to have a plan or goal for your delivery (natural/epidural/etc), but when it comes down to it , the most important thing is the safety of your child and yourself. My MD sent me to be induced ( I was already 1cm dialated) and I was ready for a vaginal delivery; but SURPRISE, after 4 hours of labor my babies heart rate began dropping with each contraction and would not recover. I was taken for an emergency C-section and now have a healthy baby boy and we are both fine. Try your best to relax and roll with punches. Enjoy and good luck!
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:25 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• During the lighter part of labor (usually before you go to the hospital, but when you are there as well) I suggest walking, it will help speed things along, but only if your watter hasnt broken yet, other wise just slow dance with someone in your room. The bast tip i can give is to remember that it will end and it will all be worth it. If you go the no meds rout the pain gets scarry (trust me) but no matter what you panicky side tells you, remember that it isnt more than you can handle, oh and BREATH.
    mommy2alissa

Answer by mommy2alissa at 10:46 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I did hypnobirthing. I liked it A LOT. It teaches you how to go into deep relaxation. But it also teaches you a ton about your own body. What kinds of hormones your body produces during labor, why labor slows down when women get to the hospital, muscle contractions. All the good things your body already knows how to do already. It gave me a lot of confidence that I really needed. I was terrified.

cont . . .
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 10:47 PM on Oct. 16, 2008

• I was in labor for 7 hours but I fell asleep (or went into deep relaxation) for most of it. I would wake up when my contraction were a intense but then went right back to sleep. I think I pushed for 20 minutes. I wanted to give birth naturally. So this was the best method for me.

My advice would be to have confidence in yourself. Women have been doing this for longer then we can imagine. And our bodies are much more capable of a positive outcome then doctors want us to believe. I would look into different positions. Sitting on a birthing ball hurt my thighs. But it felt SO GOOD to be on all fours. My babies heart rate dropped while pushing too. By midwife helped me deliver on my side and her heart rate went right back up.

Good luck to you!
    jcsscfam5

• i took the birthing class and forgot it all by the time labor came..my birthing tip: epidural.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 2:48 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• My best advice is to stay out of hospitals. You have a 1 in 3 chance of ending up with a c-section there. Get a midwife and have the baby at a birthcenter or at home. It's a much more relaxing environment. It's also safer. Stay away from pain meds and pitocin if you do have a hospital birth. Walk around. Use gravity to help get your baby out, don't work against it by pushing on your back. Drink and eat if you want. The hospital may have a "policy" against it, but they cannot stop you. You will need energy to give birth. Good luck!
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:05 AM on Oct. 17, 2008

• Oh, and don't get induced. 44% of first time moms who get induced end up with a c-section.

1. Don't get induced unless medically necessary

Years of study have shown that inducing labor often leads to a C-section.

Klein says studies of first-time moms show that 44 percent of those who are induced end up with a C-section but that only 8 percent of those who go into labor spontaneously end up with a C-section. Doctors say many times, inducing women way before the cervix is ready can lead to unproductive labor, which then necessitates a C-section.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/08/23/ep.csection/index.html

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:07 AM on Oct. 17, 2008